Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCBuntu some questions - Log on / Start up Script
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've just installed the XBMCbuntu Beta2. I have a few questions maybe someone can help.

1) During installation I created a User. With this user I can log in via ssh on the Machine. For easier administration I wanted to log on as root and therefor created a password with
sudo passwd root
I was asked for the new Unix password, entered and then confirmed. Tried to login via ssh (or the machine itself but it does not work) I tried it for several times but noway. Is there any specialty that this does not work? I have a second Linux System for testing (with Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy) and there I have no problems

2) XBMC does start at the beginning. This is very easy but where exactly is that triggered. Is there a start up script where possibly I could enter some more stuff to start. Or is there a special Post start scrip for that. I wanted to activate e.g. a hotspot and have to start several services for that

3) Do you recommend an kernel update to 3.14? I use an Intel Haswell NUC.

Thanks a lot

Alex
1) ssh is probably set to not allow root logins over ssh. This is as it should be. Do not change it. If you REALLY must go outside every security recommendation in the book, log in as your $USER and su - to root. Otherwise, sudo is there for a reason.

2) XBMCbuntu runs only XBMC on top of X. No window manager. You cannot start another X program. You could of course start the XBMCbuntu session rather than the the XBMC session [1] and set it to autostart what you like.

3) if you have a need for 3.14, by all means try it. If your hardware works with 3.13m don't fix what ain't broken.

[1] exit xbmc and the system will take you to a login window, choose to log into the XBMCbuntu session rather than the XBMC session. When you reboot the last used session will be the default.
Hi,

thank you very much for help. I appreciate.

To the second 2) point: I don't need another X Program. Just need to start some services. In Detail this is:
- dnsmasq
- hostapd
- x11vnc

Where should I start this so it is available after XBMC session starts.

Thanks again

Regards

Alex
dnsmasq should just start as a service after it has been installed.
Hi,

ok thank you for this I did not know dnsmasq starting automatically as service after install. Nevertheless for the other programs I need a solution. I found a way to do so with:

nano /etc/init.d/autostart.sh
chmod +x /etc/init.d/autostart.sh
update-rc.d autostart.sh defaults

This works for me except for one thing. I need it started after xbmc is launched.
Do you have any idea how to do this. I mean I can of course delay it with a certain time but it would be much more precise to check if XBMC has already stared and then continue.

Regards,

Alex