Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amd/Ati xbmc Gotham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello all, i have been searching all over the forum and internet on whether xbmc gotham will have default support for amd/ati ,,other than the radeon oss thread i have found nothing, can anyone give any insights Huh
Can you explain in a little more detail? If you're asking whether or not XBMC has full support for AMD hardware then yes, it does. I've always used Windows (XP -> Windows 7 -> 8) and a selection of AMD GPUs.

Just look att my signature and you'll see I'm using a budget card (£19) which supports full 1080p24 decoding.
@asko: Gotham supports AMD on Linux if your OS is new enough (see the Radeon OSS thread). On Windows it naturally works too using the Catalyst driver.
ahh sorry guys , yes i mean on linux os and i mean by default without having to compile the Radeon OSS
OpenELEC e.g. builds with Radeon OSS support by default. So no, you do not need any binary drivers anymore now for AMD. Works wonderfully. If you want to roll your own, just make sure you have a recent kernel and mesa (for the latter I believe 10.1 or higher) and all related stuff.

Using an E-350 myself. CPU is a bit weak but my next box will be an AMD as well. Yay for Linux Tongue
From my point of view, two things are left for AMD:

a) 4K decoding support (I sent preliminary patches for that)
b) Limited Color Range support (this can be workaround with the xbmc setting for it), but if your AVR cuts everything for you - no chance.

I am really, really happy with the AMD state currently on linux, though some patches are still needed. But we have everything in OpenELEC. So when Ubuntu (trusty) pulls mesa 10.1.1 and a manual installation 3.15 kernel - all will be fine.
from what i understood from openelec that there's no os backend and everything needs to be set-up with ssh (i never used it so might be wrong)...

@fritsch

so what you're saying is that on ubuntu all i have to do is a manual 3.15 kernel installation and mesa and thats it ??
Have a look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
For OpenELEC: Everything can be done via the OpenELEC Addon or via xbmc addons. OE ships tvheadend, vdr, etc. all easy installbe via xbmc addons.
@fritsch ive already read that post before thank you,,, i guess what im asking is if there will be a xbmcbuntu gotham that will natively support ati without any extra work from the user
(2014-05-07, 08:43)asko Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch ive already read that post before thank you,,, i guess what im asking is if there will be a xbmcbuntu gotham that will natively support ati without any extra work from the user

yes, on UVD >= 2.2 hardware
(2014-05-07, 12:29)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 08:43)asko Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsch ive already read that post before thank you,,, i guess what im asking is if there will be a xbmcbuntu gotham that will natively support ati without any extra work from the user

yes, on UVD >= 2.2 hardware

Ok.... Does The amd fusion e-350 have this ??
yes
(2014-05-08, 12:48)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]yes

@wsnipex thanks man, so i guess the wsnipex repository will be updated soon ?
why can't i simply update to gotham and have vpdau working ?? , i updated to the latest linux kernel , tried adding mesa repository but its not working Huh doing a fresh install on all my htpcs is a biiiig hassle as i will have to lose my entire library
You can, but if you had fglrx installed, you will need to get rid of it. You can also backup your userdata folder before a OS reinstall.
Pages: 1 2