Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote management of XBMC settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just curious if there was a way to manage the settings of XBMC from a remote connection.

Currently I have XBMC running on a Windows 7 PC, and I'm also running OpenElec on a small ION PC.

I am aware of the web interface of XBMC, but it is very limited in what it can do.

If I want to change settings, but I'm not at the PC, is it possible to do so from a remote location? RDP or VNC doesn't seem to be the answer, due to the high graphics activity of the XBMC interface.
Take a look at jsonrpc. Changing system settings via jsonrpc is new for Gotham.
Id give you a link but it looks like the wiki is down
No rush... I won't be switching to Gotham until it's officially released. Family hates when I change stuff.

One day I need to figure out how to backup the settings so everyone knows what shows have been watched.

Smile

Thanks!
Yes... MySQL (wiki) may do for you so that watched states and libraries are synced on both XBMC clients.
(2014-04-29, 13:49)Calab Wrote: [ -> ]One day I need to figure out how to backup the settings so everyone knows what shows have been watched.

Your settings and watched status should be retained when you upgrade to latest version. You can also export the libraries, which will save watched status, which is a good idea to do before updating just in case... see wiki for details.
Without mysql in between the two machines, library sharing (which includes the watched state), which is what hes doing, will be quite inpossible.
(2014-04-29, 22:18)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Without mysql in between the two machines, library sharing (which includes the watched state), which is what hes doing, will be quite inpossible.
Currently, the two machines are NOT sync'd at all. I don't even use the library functionality of XBMC, since it trashes my movie names. (Aliens3 is NOT Alice in Wonderland - Explain that goof to my 5 year old niece!)

It is something that I plan on setting up, but I haven't gotten to it yet. From what I'm reading, Gotham will allow for syncing without using MySQL, but I'll need to dig further.

All I'd like to know is if there is a settings management interface that is seperate from XBMC itself. If not, it would be a handy add on.
What do you mean by settings management?

Here is the wiki link for jsonrpc
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=JSON-RPC_API

Here is a thread with a link to setting names that can be changed via json
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192491
(2014-04-30, 11:33)Calab Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-29, 22:18)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Without mysql in between the two machines, library sharing (which includes the watched state), which is what hes doing, will be quite inpossible.
Currently, the two machines are NOT sync'd at all. I don't even use the library functionality of XBMC, since it trashes my movie names. (Aliens3 is NOT Alice in Wonderland - Explain that goof to my 5 year old niece!)

It is something that I plan on setting up, but I haven't gotten to it yet. From what I'm reading, Gotham will allow for syncing without using MySQL, but I'll need to dig further.

All I'd like to know is if there is a settings management interface that is seperate from XBMC itself. If not, it would be a handy add on.

Just because you havent figured out how to name file properly and doesnt work for you, is one thing, there is a wiki and it explains how to setup xbmc in a fairly easy to understand format.

So you would start at Naming_video_files (wiki) using a tool like Filebot (wiki) would help you greatly, then Adding_video_sources (wiki) and finally Set_content_and_scan (wiki) WHen misidentification usually its a goof up by the user and we all make them. This is why pages in wiki like Incorrect_and_missing_videos (wiki) exist and tools like Filebot.

As for sync libraries and whatnot, idk mysql seems the way to go.

For the settings part you have been given a pretty good answer already. I suggest you get yourself familiar with XBMC try to understand how it works and read the wiki.

Anyway thers nothing else to add, if you have any doubts about anything or problems, post Debug log (wiki) and Screenshots of the issues.
Is any work being done on this. I have 3 RPi's with OE. It would be handy if I could remotely manage these (install/update/configure addons etc...) in stead of having to configure all this manually on each device.