Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: wifi issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been trying to use XBMC over WiFi, but am suffering for choppy playback and buffering. when i tested my wifi connection using a tool to test the speed to an SMB share, it looks like my speed is only 25-30Mbps. This is very odd to me as my router spec says 300Mbps. I know that 300Mbps just marketing and not really achievable, but what kind of speeds do you think are normal for Wifi? Are there any good FAQs for debugging why this connection is so slow? i have tried switching from SMB to FTP, and that did seem to speed up the connection a little, but not much.

thanks for any help!
You probably need a different WiFi adapter. Your speed with anything is only as good as the weakest link. If your router is up to par, then your adapter isn't. You could also try Ethernet and see what happens to help you diagnose. I use LanSpeedTest. I have an AC1900 router. It's worthless without a matching adapter. I'm waiting for USB 3.0 adapters to enter the market at a reasonable price. In the mean time, I use an N adapter. A WN111. It is sufficient to stream WiFi 50GB 3D .iso's from my 1st story to my 2nd story on the opposite end of my home, doors closed and through many, many walls with no hiccups at all. 67 write and 112 read Mbps using SMB. I have also used NFS. I tried everything under the sun diagnosing my LAN at 1st. Turned out the built in WiFi advertised as N in my laptop client ran at G speeds no matter the drivers or adjustments I used. Plugged in an older spare adapter.... problem solved. Hope this gives you a reference and a start at diagnosing your LAN.