Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question/Advise - State of XBMC on Android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been living with my Samsung TV for playback for quite a while. I went through a number of the old players and solutions, including GoVideo, Divco, etc. through the years, and since I got the Samsung TV, I have been just using it. It has some quirks that are driving me crazy, though, and I am sick of it. I really want to get going with something new.

I was just about set on getting the WD TV Live, but after reading some of the latest comments on it --- made me rethink that whole idea --- plus, I really like what XBMC has to offer. So, then I started thinking HTPC, of course. My first thought that to get the Intel NUC (they have a version with an integrated IR sensor...so, that seemed an attractive route). But after adding everything up in price (RAM, SSD, etc.), the price was a bit high. Then my mind shifted to Android. I know there are some fairly powerful Android-based mini-PCs these days. So, let me tell you what I am wanting to do, and then I will ask two questions:

On the mini PC, I would want to install XBMC, connect it to my TV via HDMI, and have the mini PC access shares on my network (Windows 7 PC with a 28TB RAID).

With the current state of XBMC on Android, is it ready for this? I followed it a bit last year, but I am not up-to-date on how far along it is now.

If so, which mini PC do you recommend? Obviously, I want one powerful enough to handle the job. I definitely want something where I can update XBMC with newer versions that may be released without having to depend on a company (ala phones and upgrading Android versions). Or does XBMC have something where it will auto-update itself?

Thanks much in advance. I am eager to hear what you guys think. Much appreciated.
mystik,
Each person's view will differ from device to device. What I think is a great somebody else will say is trash lol.
I've got a minix neo X7 and it does all that I require of it and is something you can have a look at.
GOVIDEO---DVD PLAYER
DIVCO--- HDD MEDIA PLAYER
you are experienced
now android xbmc is ok for use...even now can reflash into linux xbmc
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...24175.html
recommended