Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A toggle to turn off/on Advanced Video Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using the advancedsettings.xml file to force XBMC to use 23.976/24.
Because some video content cause a lot of stutters and poor video quality (interlacing and what not), when XBMC output it as 60Hz.
An example of this is the DVD (R1) of Office Space.

With the overrides set it ran smoothly and with the quality as you can expect from a DVD source.
The problem is that some content (recordings from TV mainly) will be the opposite of this.
So it would be nice with an easy access toggle to tell XBMC to use the overrides or not.
use "adjust fresh rate to match video" instead.
That is the problem.

When I don't use the overrides DVD's like Office Space stutters like crazy with the "adjust refreshrate".
Most of the time the automatic refresh rate works fine but for some reason some materials don't.

So in essence what I do now, is that I use the overrides until a title comes up that works better with the "normal" auto adjust refresh settings.
But going back to desktop and rename the advancedsettings.xml file isn't great, it works but would be nice to have a toggle in the interface.
we'd rather fix the issue with auto adjust(if its not a broken EDID). So please pastebin a Debug Log that shows the problem.
I ran into a similar problem because I have some PAL 25.0 fps videos in my collection. So XBMC would switch to 25, and the TV would go blank -- seems it doesn't do PAL framerate.

With the overrides available in the advancedsettings.xml, I'm able to play anything now, and XBMC adjusts appropriately. You don't have to turn your advancedsettings.xml on and off... just allow for any kind of video.

I got the basic info here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154264 then refined it a bit for my own case.
@wsnipex, will have a look tomorrow.

@pagali, I live in PAL land but the issue (as far as I've tested it) is that I end up in two scenarios with the same framerate.

E.g. a DVD is really 23.976 on the disc itself (for NTSC land DVDs) and then I have other content that are also 23.976 but works better with 60Hz than the forced 23.976.
I've also seen this with some PAL DVD's that works better if I force them to 25Hz rather than 50Hz.

Also got a real strange BD (Rambo4, yea no comments appreciated Smile ) which is actually in 25fps on the disc.
Not sure why they do that, stupid crap but it cost $2 when a rental store went bust Smile
can you explain why some 23,976 content looks better on 60Hz? Is it maybe interlaced?
There are couple of issues that pops up with e.g. Office Space.

1. Interlace lines, not constant but often during pans, have tried the different de-interlace methods but that looks even worse (soft, not as detailed picture, stutters).
2. Stuttering, the stuttering is the worst problem, it's more or less at the same level as showing a 50Hz movie in 60Hz or vice versa.
3. General unstable picture, don't know how to describe this but it could be a combination of the above that causes this.

If I force XBMC to use 24Hz when XBMC have identified the content as 60Hz, all these problems go away.
On the other hand some content starts to stutter with these settings (not the other problems).

Edit: read your question a bit wrong.

I'll have to check the media that looks better in 60Hz, on the top of my head it's e.g. TV Shows like Real Time With Bill Maher that start to stutter using non-60Hz.
Since it's a TV-show it could have been sent/presented in interlaced mode.