Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is this Build ok to start off with
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I am fairly new to XBMC, I am looking to build a good setup for my self but want to go slow, so could anyone guid me on few things.

One of my friends has a old system laying off which he has offered me to use, here are the specs for the system
Intel P45 chipset + P4 processor
8 Gigs Mem
GeForce 8400GS GFX Card
WD Green 1 TB

Can anyone tell me if its a good option to start off, I am planning to go for a Low Power Haswell similar build similar to THIS
I will be using this system with 47" samsung plasma screen, I hope I will be able to run this 24X7 as a NAS too. but I really want the power consumption to be as low as possible.

If you guys have any other options / advices please do let me know, i am ready to spend a few bucks right now.

Thanks,
Yes this will work fine. I put together almost the exact rig together for guy from work who just wanted to use it for streaming.
I used
HP dc5100 P4 3.4Ghz HT
2GB DDR2 ram
40GB HD
8400GS 512 DDR2 GFX
Rig was running XBMCbuntu
Hope that helps,
Bubba
Thanks BubbaBBQ,

that gives me some confidence Smile
If it's free great. If it's not, how much is he charging?
its free, but he just now told me that he has only 1.5 gigs of ram and the board he is offering me now has max 2 gig of support
(2014-05-04, 08:36)sdinesh86 Wrote: [ -> ]its free, but he just now told me that he has only 1.5 gigs of ram and the board he is offering me now has max 2 gig of support

That's plenty of RAM for Openelec
1.5gb is plenty for openelec/Linux. Km not sure if that graphics card supports vdpau, it was introduced somewhere around that model of GPU, so you may get hardware decoding which means your setup will be able to handle 1080p bluray content.
I am looking to use it with Win7, as I will also be using Arduino on this for some other purposes, but will look into using arduino with Linux.
All things I have tried till date with arduino are on win7 so it will be really good if can stay with it, Also I dont think i will be playing 1080p on the system as the TV itself is HD Ready, so playing 1080p wont make much difference.

but with all your current feedback it seems this is surely a good deal to go with as of now. Also I missed a few things before,
I will be using this system to stream movies / music to other systems ( DLNA devices ) in my house, I will be connecting a WD Green 1 TB on this system and plan on adding more it later, would that be ok.
1.5gb of ram for windows 7 is cutting it very fine.
Windows 7 is doesn't run all that great on the old P4's even with 3GB ram. That is why I would run XMBCbuntu or Openelec.
Both of those run fantastic on the P4's.
Bubba
I got the system today, I have installed OpenElec on the system and it seems to work just great.

I am still to connect it to network and setup a few other things, but currently it looks great and stable enough.

There are few questions though,
1. I have installed OpenElec on the drive which has only one Partition of ~950GB, Is it Ok, or I should make seperate partition for media and OS ??
2. I checked the system performance in the System Info tab, the FPS seems a bit low 32-33, Is this normal ??
3. I really like the Xperience 1080 skin, can I use it or should I stay with the default one ?

I read a lot on Xmbcbuntu Vs OpenElec, and found that both are same in nearly all terms, except for Openelec is bit restricted and Xbmcbuntu is more open.
If thats the only diefference then I would go with Xbmcbuntu, but before that can anyone confirm the performance reports on both of them.

Thanks,

@tential : I paid him 3K INR that's around 50$ for the system. is it a good deal ??
Finally I have a working XBMC Big Grin

Copying all the media from the previous system to the XBMC system.
Now for the next challenge, connecting Arduino to XBMCbuntu and getting it to talk to each other.

Thanks all for your great help.