Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCBuntu - Running 4 tuners?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering how the PVR function of XMBCBuntu would handle running 4 tuners?

I currently run an Intel NUC 2820 w/ 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD and 4TB USB3 external. The tuners are 2x Digitalnow Tiny Twin USB and the system is hooked up via HDMI to my 55"

Windows Media Centre handles it fine, however the Windows version of XBMC causes a LOT of disk thrashing when using the PVR. I was wondering how much of an issue this is with the Linux version?

It's all controlled by a Logitech Harmony 650 remote.
It's something for the backend. xbmc does not drive the tuners directly. VDR for example can make use of them and tvheadend should also. xbmc can then watch TV via a pvr addon.
(2014-05-06, 22:17)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]It's something for the backend. xbmc does not drive the tuners directly. VDR for example can make use of them and tvheadend should also. xbmc can then watch TV via a pvr addon.

Thanks so much for the reply Smile I'm more asking how disk intensive xbmcbuntu is compared to the windows pvr back ends?
Anything is better than Windows when it comes to any kind of performance metric. In the end though it depends on the PVR backend how much the disk is being written.
(2014-05-06, 22:39)membreya Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-06, 22:17)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]It's something for the backend. xbmc does not drive the tuners directly. VDR for example can make use of them and tvheadend should also. xbmc can then watch TV via a pvr addon.

Thanks so much for the reply Smile I'm more asking how disk intensive xbmcbuntu is compared to the windows pvr back ends?

There shouldn't be any disk thrashing that is beyond any standard 5400 RPM 3.5 inch bog standard hard drive made in the past few years with 4 tuners.
Even if you were recording 3 HD programs and watching another recorded.
Maximum bitrate on HDTV even on premium channels these days is around 20mbit peak, average is MUCH lower 80mbit is less than 15mb a second, even taking into account seeking that would be needed due to separate storage of streams etc etc, that's something any hard drive can handle...

...Unless there's a problem somewhere else, low disk space, highly fragmented hard drive etc,
One thing I will say is that your DVR drive should be a separate one not used by the system for the OS, otherwise you may experience some hassle if using more than a couple of tuners at the same time.
On Linux you can ommit the virus scanner => much less disk activity.