Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Location of home.xml file?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am a longtime XBMC on iOS user and recently have been using XBMC on Fire TV. I'm not as familiar with the directory structure of the Android arm version of XBMC, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with finding the location of the home.xml file in the Confluence skin. I typically make a few tweaks to the home.xml file so clicking Video goes straight to Video > Files and also so XBMC opens directly to Video > Files on startup.

On my iOS versions that xml file sit at xbmc/addons/skin.confluence/720p/Home.xml, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the arm version of Gotham 13.0 I am running on my Fire TV.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I forget where it is off hand, but I would recommend just making a copy of the Confluence folder either from github or from another XBMC system, then copy it over to the user accessible addons directory in the xbmc folder (the parent folder for userdata). Then give the version number of your copy a higher number. That way, if you ever have to reinstall or update XBMC (like a minor bug fix version) then your changes won't get wiped out with the update.
(2014-05-08, 11:59)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I forget where it is off hand, but I would recommend just making a copy of the Confluence folder either from github or from another XBMC system, then copy it over to the user accessible addons directory in the xbmc folder (the parent folder for userdata). Then give the version number of your copy a higher number. That way, if you ever have to reinstall or update XBMC (like a minor bug fix version) then your changes won't get wiped out with the update.

I will give this a try - thank you! So basically the skin.confluence folder from any XBMC system (including iOS) would work?
Yep. Should be the exact same files.
I pushed the entire skin.confluence folder from my iOS device that has the modified Home.xml to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons and I'm not getting the functionality that I expected (pressing Video goes straight to Video > Files, for example). I tried restarting XBMC and it still didn't work. I noticed on the logs these lines:

18:32:01 T:1074523608 INFO: load skin from: /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence (version: 2.2.14)
18:32:01 T:1074523608 INFO: load fonts for skin...
18:32:01 T:1074523608 INFO: Loading fonts from /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/720p/Font.xml

So it seems like XBMC is pulling the Confluence settings from a cache directory that I can't seem to find. I did not put the "new" skin.confluence directory in that cache/apk/assets/addons directory, and if I could figure out how to access that part of my Fire TV, then I could do the mod.
Did you increase the version number of your user copy?
(2014-05-08, 14:31)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Did you increase the version number of your user copy?

I didn't - how would I do that?
In the addon.xml file of confluence.skin there should be a line that looks like "version="2.2.14".

Just change that to something really high so that it takes priority, like "version="5.2.14".
(2014-05-09, 00:30)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]In the addon.xml file of confluence.skin there should be a line that looks like "version="2.2.14".

Just change that to something really high so that it takes priority, like "version="5.2.14".

That worked! Thank you!
(2014-05-08, 13:33)exit Wrote: [ -> ]I pushed the entire skin.confluence folder from my iOS device that has the modified Home.xml to /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons and I'm not getting the functionality that I expected (pressing Video goes straight to Video > Files, for example). I tried restarting XBMC and it still didn't work. I noticed on the logs these lines:

18:32:01 T:1074523608 INFO: load skin from: /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence (version: 2.2.14)
18:32:01 T:1074523608 INFO: load fonts for skin...
18:32:01 T:1074523608 INFO: Loading fonts from /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/720p/Font.xml

So it seems like XBMC is pulling the Confluence settings from a cache directory that I can't seem to find. I did not put the "new" skin.confluence directory in that cache/apk/assets/addons directory, and if I could figure out how to access that part of my Fire TV, then I could do the mod.

this dir ( /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/720p/ ) can be accessed via android shell (adb shell and then cd to that dir).
quite clumsy but it works.

Mait
[/quote]

this dir ( /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/720p/ ) can be accessed via android shell (adb shell and then cd to that dir).
quite clumsy but it works.

Mait
[/quote]

Thank you - saved my day!
I am attempting to modify the home.xml file so that the home screen defaults the videos section/tab....however, I cannot find the home.xml file in ADBfire when attempting to pull the file.

The locations listed in the previous posts does not exists " /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/addons" nor can I change directory to "/data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/addons/skin.confluence/720p/" as the paths do not exist

I can see a /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files folder but it is empty.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I think you did not setup your Files Explorer to browse Hidden Files. Somewhere in settings you will probably see option Show Hidden Files and then you will see all folders like you expect.
hello i'm new to Kodi i've just found out how to change the main menu bar i've got a MacBook Air that i use i know on windows you have a app called notepad++ i've been searching on the web for something that is similar to notepad++ i've found this app called textwrangler which is same as notepad++now i download my fonts then i add them to font xml file now this is the tricky bit when you go into Kodi go to system then you got settings now in font xml file what would it come under i'm using aeon nox silvo skin and how do i change submenu bar and what would that come under in font xml file
Is this possible without rooting my Nvidia Shield TV? This link implies not: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/6...n_android/

Would love to edit some of the skin XMLs, but can only find settings.xml in file manager.

Thanks in advance!
Pages: 1 2