Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movies and TV shows naming phenomenon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can someone explain why video scrappers have no problem 'seeing' and naming movies like

Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264
or
Indiana.Jones.and.the.Raiders.of.the.Lost.Ark.1981.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264?

But all TV shows named like:
Dexter.S01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264
or
Prison.Break.S01.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264

fail to be recognised during scrapping.

However if you rename the for example "Prison.Break.S01.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264" to Prison.Break" recognition works perfectly.
I
s it something that I AM doing wrong or is it just how scrappers work and I need to deal with it?

Please explain. Thanks!
(2014-05-07, 21:58)nivepl Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone explain why video scrappers have no problem 'seeing' and naming movies like

Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264
or
Indiana.Jones.and.the.Raiders.of.the.Lost.Ark.1981.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264?

But all TV shows named like:
Dexter.S01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264
or
Prison.Break.S01.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264

fail to be recognised during scrapping.

However if you rename the for example "Prison.Break.S01.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264" to Prison.Break" recognition works perfectly.
I
s it something that I AM doing wrong or is it just how scrappers work and I need to deal with it?

Please explain. Thanks!

IDK if you just made a typo, but you need the episode in the filename too.

Dexter.S01E01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264
or
Prison.Break.S01E01.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264

^^^ Those should work.
Quote:IDK if you just made a typo, but you need the episode in the filename too.

or

^^^ Those should work.

Hmmm not really.
Usually the thing is that apart from naming conventions as I posted above in file name there is also name of encoding group.
For example
Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PUBLIC
or Dexter.S01E01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-GAGBALL.

The thing is that in case of movies, whatever description there is after the name of the movie itself it will ALWAYS get recognised with no problems.
However in case of TV shows, adding any additional description makes tv show 'nonvisible' to scrapper. I cant figure out WHY this is happening;(
(2014-05-07, 22:17)nivepl Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:IDK if you just made a typo, but you need the episode in the filename too.

or

^^^ Those should work.

Hmmm not really.
Usually the thing is that apart from naming conventions as I posted above in file name there is also name of encoding group.
For example
Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PUBLIC
or Dexter.S01E01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-GAGBALL.

The thing is that in case of movies, whatever description there is after the name of the movie itself it will ALWAYS get recognised with no problems.
However in case of TV shows, adding any additional description makes tv show 'nonvisible' to scrapper. I cant figure out WHY this is happening;(

Couldn't tell ya then. 90% of my files are named in the same style and everything works just fine.

Arrow.S01E01.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION and so on.
..and you've been told that TV shows require the episode numbers in the file name, for full details have a read up of the wiki info at Naming_video_files/TV_shows (wiki)
(2014-05-07, 22:21)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]..and you've been told that TV shows require the episode numbers in the file name, for full details have a read up of the wiki info at Naming_video_files/TV_shows (wiki)

Still not what i meant.
I have folder MOVIES in which I i put folders
Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-Sometihng
or
Indiana.Jones.and.the.Raiders.of.the.Lost.Ark.1981.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264-Whatever

and I do not need to change ANYTHING for the scrapper to recognise them perfectly.

Than I have folder TVSHOWS in which i put folders
Dexter.S01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-Something
Arrow.S01.720p.HDTV.X264-Whatever

and until I rename particular tvshow folder to something like 'Dexter' or 'Arrow' these are NOT visible to scrapper;(
Im using THE TVDB scrapper if that is of any importance.

Whats even more curious is that if I create a folder 'Dexter' and inside i would copy folder 'Dexter.S01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-Something' it WILL recognise the show and season with no problemWink

What I am actually whining about from the start is why my xbmc scrapper is unable to recognise shows as they usually exist over the web, whilst it does not have problems recognising movies... Mabe I DO have something not set up properly?
(2014-05-07, 22:31)nivepl Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-07, 22:21)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]..and you've been told that TV shows require the episode numbers in the file name, for full details have a read up of the wiki info at Naming_video_files/TV_shows (wiki)

Still not what i meant.
I have folder MOVIES in which I i put folders
Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-Sometihng
or
Indiana.Jones.and.the.Raiders.of.the.Lost.Ark.1981.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264-Whatever

and I do not need to change ANYTHING for the scrapper to recognise them perfectly.

Than I have folder TVSHOWS in which i put folders
Dexter.S01E01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-Something
Arrow.S01E01.720p.HDTV.X264-Whatever

and until I rename particular tvshow folder to something like 'Dexter' or 'Arrow' these are NOT visible to scrapper;(
Im using THE TVDB scrapper if that is of any importance.

Whats even more curious is that if I create a folder 'Dexter' and inside i would copy folder 'Dexter.S01E01.2006.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-Something' it WILL recognise the show and season with no problemWink

What I am actually whining about from the start is why my xbmc scrapper is unable to recognise shows as they usually exist over the web, whilst it does not have problems recognising movies... Mabe I DO have something not set up properly?

If I'm understanding correctly, you are throwing all of your TV shows into one big folder? If that's the case, that is then your issue. This is how I have mine laid out.

/Videos/TV/Arrow/Season 1/Arrow.S01E01.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv

The link to the wiki, posted earlier states:

Code:
TV Shows                  <<Source folder, Content: TV shows>>
   |----TV Show 1
   |       |----Season #
   |            |--Files
   |----TV Show 2 (year)
   |       |--Files
   |----TV Show 3
   |            |--Files
[/code]
Quote:If I'm understanding correctly, you are throwing all of your TV shows into one big folder? If that's the case, that is then your issue. This is how I have mine laid out.

Ok, ok, we're getting there.
So youre telling me I can have something like this

/Videos/Movie/Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PUBLIC
/Videos/Movie/Drive.2011.1080p.BluRay.x264-PUBLIC
etc

but I CAN'T have something like this?
/Videos/TV/Californication S01 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1
/Videos/TV/Californication S02 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1

and I need to change it to:
/Videos/TV/Californication/Californication S01 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1
/Videos/TV/Californication/Californication S02 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1

is that what you're saying?

If so, this SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!Sad
(2014-05-07, 22:40)nivepl Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If I'm understanding correctly, you are throwing all of your TV shows into one big folder? If that's the case, that is then your issue. This is how I have mine laid out.

Ok, ok, we're getting there.
So youre telling me I can have something like this

/Videos/Movie/Enemy.at.the.Gates.2000.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-PUBLIC
/Videos/Movie/Drive.2011.1080p.BluRay.x264-PUBLIC
etc

but I CAN'T have something like this?
/Videos/TV/Californication S01 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1
/Videos/TV/Californication S02 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1

and I need to change it to:
/Videos/TV/Californication/Californication S01 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1
/Videos/TV/Californication/Californication S02 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1

is that what you're saying?

If so, this SUCKS DONKEY BALLS!Sad

That's correct.
It sucks and it's strange but I guess I nothing can be done to overcome this.
It just annoys me that every time when a new season is put in TVSHOWS, it requires renaming before it can be recognised.
Anyway, thank you for clearing this up!Wink
(2014-05-07, 22:46)nivepl Wrote: [ -> ]It sucks and it's strange but I guess I nothing can be done to overcome this.
It just annoys me that every time when a new season is put in TVSHOWS, it requires renaming before it can be recognised.
Anyway, thank you for clearing this up!Wink

You shouldn't need to rename anything. I haven't renamed a single file and I've got 2+ terabytes of media... Just ensure they are in the proper folders and you'll be fine.
I can understand the philosophy behind tvseries naming. What I am saying though is that in my case it's a bit cumbersome.
I get my tv series in seasons packs ONLY (ei S01, S02, etc, not S01.E01, S01.E02). I dont bother with single episodes. So to me a particular 'season folder' should be treated the same as a MOVIE folder. In this way, one could drop any season pack to a single TVSHOWS folder without carrying which show is which. With current naming fashion one muse create additional naming tier more (tv series name folder) and drop either seasons or single episodes in that particular folder for scrappers to work. That's fair enough but like I said, it doesn't allow you to drop all different seasons packs into a single TVSHOWS folder.
Basically your issue surrounds adding 1 folder at a level above Californication S01 Pack 720p WEB-DL DD5.1 - that's bad!!

I'd push for a refund.
I'm thinking XBMC or the way the scraper is looking up data is getting confused about the extra stuff in the folder name. If you mess with some of the clean string stuff in advancedsettings.xml (wiki) then you might be able to get it to work without a specific TV show folder, but it really would just be easiest to throw them in a TV show folder. It's not like it happens that often, right?
(2014-05-08, 11:47)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm thinking XBMC or the way the scraper is looking up data is getting confused about the extra stuff in the folder name. If you mess with some of the clean string stuff in advancedsettings.xml (wiki) then you might be able to get it to work without a specific TV show folder, but it really would just be easiest to throw them in a TV show folder. It's not like it happens that often, right?

Well, it kinda does happen quite often in my case, as Im a tv series freak and watch about 20-30 different shows throughout the year. Anyway, at least I know what the story is nowWink Thanks all!... except steelman1991 - what a douche.
Pages: 1 2