Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Better downscaling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now, obviously this is NOT a situation encountered a lot yet, but I thought I'd put it out there. I've tested out some 4K material in XBMC and I've noticed that while upscaling options have been an area of focus, the downscaling of media has actually been largely ignored. In this case, when I run 4K on my 1360x768 I get some seriously jaggy results.

Now, I understand why downscaling hasn't been an area of focus and that it's not a dire emergency by far, but I thought that I'd point out the need as in the near future it will be more beneficial. Smile
This will happen only if the reduction is greater than a factor of 2 or so (which is probably the case with your 2k stuff) as linear interpolation will be missing every second pixel at that point, which in a moving, sharp image (such as computer rendered images like the above) you'll get ugliness.

Note that the vast majority of videos won't be sharp enough that this is an issue.

One way to solve it is to either use more taps in the interpolation (e.g. a cubic or some such) or use multiple passes that reduce by no more than a factor of 2.
(2014-05-08, 23:53)jmarshall Wrote: [ -> ]This will happen only if the reduction is greater than a factor of 2 or so (which is probably the case with your 2k stuff) as linear interpolation will be missing every second pixel at that point, which in a moving, sharp image (such as computer rendered images like the above) you'll get ugliness.

Note that the vast majority of videos won't be sharp enough that this is an issue.

One way to solve it is to either use more taps in the interpolation (e.g. a cubic or some such) or use multiple passes that reduce by no more than a factor of 2.

Again, while tackling 4K frequently is still a bit off for XBMC, wouldn't this be an issue even for 1080p displays showing certainly 4K content? '4K' is a vaguely numbered resolution, 3840 × 2160 would be exactly half of 1080p and be '4K' however other examples like this 4096x1755 content would be a reduction by more than half even on a 1080p display and the issue would exist there as well. ...With that all said, I concede that it's hard to say how much 4K content will be over 3840 × 2160 once it actually becomes common place.