Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Full-SBS 3D playback with Gotham
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw that Gotham now has better support for 3D, and that full SBS files are supported according to the wiki, so I grabbed a full SBS (3840x1080) file, put the proper tags on it and tried to play it. XBMC detected that it was a 3D file (asked what 3D mode I wanted), but all I got was the video being played with the squished frames side by side, not automatically switching my display to 3D mode and having a full 1080p frame for each eye (without the display having to stretch the frame) like I expected.

If I have to manually switch my display to SBS mode and have the frames be stretched, that defeats the purpose of full SBS, and puts me right back in half SBS territory, with downgraded resolution.

So, is what I'm wanting (full 1920x1080 non-stretched frame to each eye) possible with XBMC? The computer should be capable of doing it, since I played a 3D Blu-Ray on it and it caused my display to switch to 3D by itself and had a full 1080p frame for each eye (i.e. 1.4 frame packed 3D). Does the fact that Gotham doesn't support 3DBD/MVC mean that full-SBS 3D playback isn't supported either?
I'm not sure I understand how manually switching the monitor makes full SBS not work at full resolution?
Full 3D needs Frame Packing which XBMC can not do at the moment. So you are stuck with half resolution for each eye for now...
MVC and frame packing are two different things.
If you TV uses passive 3D technology it doesn't matter anyway, just set the 3D mode to Over under and you'll get the best your TV can do ;-) (presuming you use either 3D-Half-OU or Full-3D encoded files)
That's what I feared. I guess I'm stuck with "half" resolution TAB/SBS 3D with XBMC.

I have an active 3d projector, so full/frame packed 3d really makes a difference.

(2014-05-08, 11:51)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understand how manually switching the monitor makes full SBS not work at full resolution?

It's because the manual way takes the 1080 frame, splits it, then stretches the halves for each eye, so I'm getting less resolution, and its definitely noticeable.
Ah, I see.
I was actually about to post something referring to 3D. It's kind of along these lines. As you mentioned XBMC doesn't automatically switch the TV to 3D mode. I was able to get that from Frodo though. Is that no longer possible?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking.