Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Priority Scanning of Video Libraries?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I don't really know if this is possible, but is there a way to set the order of priority that video libraries are scanned for updates in XBMC? I just updated to Gotham. I couldn't find anything in the menus to do it but it would be nice.

It is good to scan all the libraries on startup as things change in different places at different times but it would be better if I could set the order to scan so that something like "Current Series" gets scanned before "Finished Series" and "Latest movies" gets scanned before "Old Movies". If I am waiting for something to import to watch it is more likely in the former than the latter.

But as it stands it does all the movie directories first and this takes a while. I know I can manually scan individual directories so that is a fallback but I figured I might as well ask if there was a way.

It doesn't seem to scan them in the order they are in the sources.xml

Jason
You could just create another source to store your "new movies" in, and then exclude the "old movies" folder from scanning at all. I know its not exactly what you asked for, but I haven't seen an answer for that particular question before on the boards.
Thanks helta.

Do you know how it chooses the scan order? It doesn't appear to be alphabetical. I';d be happy to work around the problem if I could just specify the directories in the order it wants to look at them.

Jason
This is going to be a bit of a hack, but here's how you might be able to create an autoexec.py with the following:
Code:
import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin( "UpdateLibrary( video, path1 )" )
xbmc.executebuiltin( "UpdateLibrary( video, path2 )" )

I believe the path you need to put in is a directory path, and that would allow you to select different sources or folders. This would only work at startup, and you actually need to DISABLE the UPDATE LIBRARY AT STARTUP option in XBMC, or it will scan all your sources again.

Hopefully that'll help you get started.
(2014-05-08, 23:50)pkscuot Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to be a bit of a hack, but here's how you might be able to create an autoexec.py with the following:
Code:
import xbmc

I believe the path you need to put in is a directory path, and that would allow you to select different sources or folders. This would only work at startup, and you actually need to DISABLE the UPDATE LIBRARY AT STARTUP option in XBMC, or it will scan all your sources again.

that's not a hack, it is using xbmc's API!
(2014-05-09, 04:54)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-08, 23:50)pkscuot Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to be a bit of a hack, but here's how you might be able to create an autoexec.py with the following:
Code:
import xbmc

that's not a hack, it is using xbmc's API!

Maybe, but autoexec.py is probably going to be depreciated.
You mean it loses value over time?
Thanks for that. It'll do for now Smile