Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC 13 5.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I have xbmc installed on windows 8.1 laptop which is connected via HDMI to a Sony bravia tv and from the sony bravia I have a samsung 5.1 system pluged via optical cable. Now I selected sony as audio output and enabled passthroughand did not get 5.1 in frodo it worked fine, then I selected Enable Dolby Digital transcoding and 5.1 came out. why do I have to select Enable Dolby Digital transcoding if the tv and sound syster supports the 5.1 ac3?
Thats because your tv doesnt support AC3, at best likely supports only LPCM.
(2014-05-10, 19:17)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Thats because your tv doesnt support AC3, at best likely supports only LPCM.
Thank you so much for your reply just another thing if the tv does not support the AC3 how come it played the same movie in 5.1 when playing direct from the tv? and in xbmc frodo I never enabled this setting. thank you again for all your help
(2014-05-10, 19:06)chrismallia Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I have xbmc installed on windows 8.1 laptop which is connected via HDMI to a Sony bravia tv and from the sony bravia I have a samsung 5.1 system pluged via optical cable. Now I selected sony as audio output and enabled passthroughand did not get 5.1 in frodo it worked fine, then I selected Enable Dolby Digital transcoding and 5.1 came out. why do I have to select Enable Dolby Digital transcoding if the tv and sound syster supports the 5.1 ac3?

You were probably transcoding before without realising it, audio settings have been reworked to make some of this stuff more explicit in what's it doing, as for why, well it likely your TV only supports passing Dolby Digital so anything not natively Dolby Digital need to be re-encoded into Dolby Digital, for example DTS 5.1 is transcoded to DD 5.1.
The audio engine in Gotham is better (and completely diffrent) and more correctly detects and handles what your hardware can actually support.
Oh I understand now yes you are right infact I could not play dts befour now when I tried a DTS it played fine in 5.1 thanks to the transcode, and also btw great great work in the new XBMC 13 its a gorges software, I also loved the steareo upmix my 2.0 movies now play in 5.1. Sorry for asking this question but is there a way to donate something towards the xbmc development? cos the xbmc team deserve it. Thank you again