Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Store Thumbnails with Media - SQL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK so, I did some digging, and I am more confused now haha. I hope I am not going around in circles here.

I looked at my Server (Which is acting like my NAS), and all of the .actors folder thumbs and the movies/tvshow thumbs seems to be from the same date, 6/03/2013, which makes me think that this was when I backed up my library to the server when setting up the SQL Database, which makes me think I did something wrong here. Going back to my innital enquiry, is it possible to stop XBMC from writing to the thumbnails folder in userdata, and make it write them all to the NAS, since it already reads the first xxx movies/tvshow thumbnails from that NAS?

I did some searching and found this infomation:
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>PROTOCOL://YOUR_NETWORK_SHARE/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Which sounds like what I want, which I assume I would replace the <to> section to something like <to>/smb://MEDIAHUB/Media 1/thumbs...
I don't know what's going on with that movie.

"image://[email protected]:/..." is an embedded thumbnail - XBMC has (or will) attempt to extract a screen shot from the video file and store it in your texture cache (Thumbnails). In the case of songs (image://[email protected]:/,..), it will be cover artwork embedded in an mp3.

According to that first TV show you listed, your art is locally stored on your network (banners, fanart, posters etc.)

The second movie you list has remote artwork (fanart and poster) - ie the artwork is out on the internet.

(2014-05-29, 06:07)citris.87 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder weather these files stored on the actual media player are just left over artifacts from before it was stored on the server...

That does seem likely.

(2014-05-29, 06:07)citris.87 Wrote: [ -> ]Scratch that, closer look shows that some of them are more recent, the thumbnails seem to be unrelated to the posters and fanart, as they are use numbers lke 26ae2b88.jpg, and when looking at them it appears to be a snapshot of the video... any idea what these are, are they needed? I never see these when browsing media...

The Thumbnails folder is your texture cache.

This is where XBMC caches your artwork (from your local LAN, extracted from videos/songs, or downloaded from remote websites) and creates smaller, more efficient, local copies for each client using a name (8/26ae2b88.jpg etc.) based on the hash of the filename. This is what "prune" is navigating and cleaning out by removing any artwork from the Thumbnails folder/texture cache that is not present in your media library - the logic being that if it's not in your media library you don't need it in your texture cache.

Another option is to delete the Thumbnails folder and Textures13.db file, restart XBMC, then pre-load the cache from scratch with your local nd remote artwork (embedded artwork can't be pre-loaded). Note that some of your remote artwork may no longer exist - that's the problem with using remote artwork.

(2014-05-29, 06:45)citris.87 Wrote: [ -> ]Going back to my innital enquiry, is it possible to stop XBMC from writing to the thumbnails folder in userdata, and make it write them all to the NAS, since it already reads the first xxx movies/tvshow thumbnails from that NAS?

I did some searching and found this infomation:
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>PROTOCOL://YOUR_NETWORK_SHARE/xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Which sounds like what I want, which I assume I would replace the <to> section to something like <to>/smb://MEDIAHUB/Media 1/thumbs...

The Thumbnails folder is your texture cache. You can move it around with path substitution, to the network for instance though this will result in reduced performance, but XBMC will always convert your local, embedded and remote artwork into a version stored within the texture cache (wherever the cache may be), then use the cached version for display within XBMC. Always.

Regarding your actors, if you want to see what actor information (artwork urls) is stored in your media library try the following alternative query:
Code:
./texturecache.py Jd movies avatar @extrajson.movies=cast
which should list the cast details for Avatar.

If you want to pre-load your actor artwork (or preserve it during pruning), add "cache.castthumb = yes" in texturecache.cfg.
Hey MilhouseVH, Thank you, I ended up looking at the ./texturecase.py p again, and it looked like it was going to prune a lot of the cache so I ran it, then checked space and it did save about 600mb, which is more then what I needed. So I was able to do the update etc. So your script has been a great help. The update didn't seem to work but that's another story entirely haha.

Thank you very much for you help.
Pages: 1 2