Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Default Music Artist Thumbnail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I tried looking this up but not really finding the exact answer to my question. My default view in music is to view by artist and if I do not have a picture/thumbnail for that artist it displays the same default image (some kind of placeholder) which it appears to have taken it from a random cd within my collection. Basically I would just like to change what that default image is to one of my choosing but I am unable to find the location where this is stored. I have even cleared my entire collections cache and started over and the same thumbnail remains. Any help on how to change this would be great since having this random cd cover is really not pleasant. Thanks a lot for the help.

Current version Gotham 13.0
Windows 7
There are various ways to get your desired artwork to appear. Here is one that I think you may be looking for, but read up on artist nfo files, scrapers, and the online music databases.

You can't "replace the image file". You must just choose a new one.

For artist thumbs, while in artist view, open the context menu. Select ARTIST INFO. From that page you should be able to choose a thumbnail and fanart.

CD covers are best fixed by embedding the correct cover in the music files with a tagging tool.
There is another workaround, if your music library is organized in folders by artist/album. You just need to place the image file you want to see into the artist folder and rename it to folder.jpg
AFAIK, the default image used when no thumb has been assigned (either during scanning or manually via the UI) is set by the skin theme. Not sure how you are getting a random CD cover as the default. Is this in Confluence? If not try switching to Confluence just to see what you are getting in that skin.

scott s.
I will have to take a picture of what I am talking about when I get home but yes all the default icons for my artists shows a the same cd cover from a random band I have as the default if I do not have any artwork available and the scraper can not pull any images for the artist. I know I can go to each folder and change the picture for each individual one but with over 1200 artists in my library and about 1/3rd missing its a lot of work especially since it can not find a picture even when I manually search for one under the artist info using the universal scraper. I am currently using MetroTv skin but have switched between about 4 skins now and all use the same default icon, as far back as I can remember it has never been anything different or even skin related. Wish it was, it would definitely make this a bit easier!
It sounds like it isn't using a default image, instead it has assigned a thumb that is wrong. You can see that if you have a SQLite manager that can look at the database, otherwise it is sort of guessing.

Note that in the scraping process, when a new album artist is found the scanner will look in the parent folder (to the one which contains the music files) and assume that a file there named folder.jpg is the artist thumb (also fanart.jpg is assumed to be artist fanart). The assigned scraper (or artist.nfo file again in the parent folder) can also assign remote image URLs.

So need to know the folder/file layout for the songs which have this wrong artist thumb.

scott s.
I'm having the same issue. For some reason for artists that the scraper can't find a local artist thumb or remote it has decided to assign the same random and incorrect artist thumb to all. How do I change it to a placeholder while I find a spare weekend to get them all?
First make sure you are properly tagged. It is always best to have both Artist and Album Artist tags filled out. Then check to make sure there are no MBID tags, and you have turned off 'override tags with on line information' in settings.

And, like Scott said above, check parent folders for stray nfo or jpg files.

Once you think you are straight, delete the textures.db and image cache and re-scrape.