Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ultra HD (UHD / 4K / 2160p) skin resolution support by XBMC GUI engine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In Kodi set the display resolution to 3840x2160 and GUI resolution limit to Unlimited. Should give better results as most skins are coded for 1080p so textures will be scaled evenly and fonts will look nice and sharp.
(2014-05-21, 10:24)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]someone just needs to buy all of us a 4K TV right? ;-)

appreciate that this is an old thread and reply but the OP was right 4 K tv's are the norm now and its almost impossible to find  1080P ones now but   there are stil no 4k skins I'm  using the workaround of setting  the display options in kodi to 1080 but I get odd behaviour at times because my tv's also upscale content and have numerous display configuration settings  like full pixel etc my 4K TiVo  tv box outputs at 4k passthrough and the tv accurately displays that without  requiring any workarounds. setting Kodi's display settings to  4K  gets scaled up so large that the interface is almost unusable and stretches off the screen
(2020-08-08, 00:52)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]In Kodi set the display resolution to 3840x2160 and GUI resolution limit to Unlimited. Should give better results as most skins are coded for 1080p so textures will be scaled evenly and fonts will look nice and sharp.

Display resolution is greyed, 192x 1080p, and can not be changed.
(Kodi 19.3)
(2021-11-25, 12:51)YvesB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-08, 00:52)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]In Kodi set the display resolution to 3840x2160 and GUI resolution limit to Unlimited. Should give better results as most skins are coded for 1080p so textures will be scaled evenly and fonts will look nice and sharp.

Display resolution is greyed, 192x 1080p, and can not be changed.
(Kodi 19.3)

Then your device doesn't support 4k.
(2021-11-25, 19:57)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Then your device doesn't support 4k.
Hitcher,
It is a brand new TV SONY OLED 4K BRAVIA 55" XR-55A83J
It does support 4k.
What else could be wrong pls ?
Probably limited by the OS. Please post a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2021-11-26, 10:47)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Probably limited by the OS. Please post a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Thank you, here is the log link :
http://paste.kodi.tv/viwifudoji
(2021-11-26, 09:56)YvesB Wrote: [ -> ]What else could be wrong pls ?

Well, normally we'd say "it's a Sony". We've had some run-ins with them in the past.

2021-11-26 10:20:58.216 T:26742 DEBUG <general>: CAndroidUtils: current mode: 1: [email protected]
2021-11-26 10:20:58.217 T:26742 DEBUG <general>: CAndroidUtils: available mode: 1: [email protected]
2021-11-26 10:20:58.217 T:26742 DEBUG <general>: CAndroidUtils: maximum/current resolution: 1920x1080
2021-11-26 10:20:58.217 T:26742 DEBUG <general>: CAndroidUtils: selected resolution: 0x0

Kodi uses Android's own API/APK calls where possible, so "if" Sony has made some ulterior changes in its own firmware, then unexpected results can happen. Providing just a single resolution/refresh rate combo is a bit weird.

(Also, there is no need to quote _every_ post you reply to)
Quote:Some Android TV devices run their UI layer at a resolution that’s lower than the full resolution of the display, upscaling it for presentation to the user. For example, the UI layer may be run at 1080p on an Android TV that has a 4K display.
So, there is nothing to do ?

Note that Kodi is able to run my UHD movies although I am not sure they are really displayed in UHD...
I had to deactivate the hardware acceleration MediaCodec (Surface) but the the other hardware acceleration MediaCodec seems OK.

Thanks for your help
See https://9to5google.com/2021/07/14/androi...ui-beta-3/

Nothing you can do as the limitatiopn is in the Android TV OS which currently limites the UI layer to a max of 1080p which is then scaled to the native resolution, so you'll have to wait for Android 12 to get a 4K UI
Pages: 1 2