Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to access SMB shares via XBMC, mounting from OS works fine.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to add network locations fails on latest stable Gotham release from repository.

Problem only appeared on upgrade to stable Gotham release (assume due to SMB updates in Gotham stable)

Packet dumps (available on request) shows authentication process is failing after server has challenged.

Mounting the same shares with the same credentials in Ubuntu works without any problems (work around atm is to map locations via root filesystem to mounts).

SMB server is a Synology NAS running DSM5.

Anybody else having similar issues?
I have the same problem with my NAS DSM 5.x no problem to mount any other SMB shares on windows servers.

But for me only on RPI builds.
I'm not sure on the details, but I'm fairly sure something with SAMBA was touched on between v12 and v13, but I've only experienced minor issues with SMB browsing, and not with connecting. Any debug logs or details would be helpful in this matter.
I'll try to produce some on the rpi tomorrow but I was using the milouse build so did not want to spam if specific to those.
According to the release notes for Gotham: "Upgraded SAMBA client to version 3.6.x adding full support for SMB 2.0 and SMB 2.1 protocols"

I'll see if I get anything in debug logs too, although I didn't spot anything previously.

I can upload a packet dump of the failing connection though if there's somewhere to upload. My knowledge on the SMB protocol isn't sufficient to isolate the issue via the dumps myself.
(2014-05-23, 09:04)Packet Loss Wrote: [ -> ]According to the release notes for Gotham: "Upgraded SAMBA client to version 3.6.x adding full support for SMB 2.0 and SMB 2.1 protocols"

I'll see if I get anything in debug logs too, although I didn't spot anything previously.

I can upload a packet dump of the failing connection though if there's somewhere to upload. My knowledge on the SMB protocol isn't sufficient to isolate the issue via the dumps myself.

That's interesting. The SMB performance on my setup from a QNAP seems slower than what I'd expect based on my experienced with Frodo so maybe you're onto something here.
(2014-05-23, 13:26)boredandlazy Wrote: [ -> ]That's interesting. The SMB performance on my setup from a QNAP seems slower than what I'd expect based on my experienced with Frodo so maybe you're onto something here.

It's possible they're connected but mine are handshake/authentication issues rather than performance.

It's been a while since I used a QNAP but I would see if SMB2.x is enabled and if it is try switching it off to see if performance improves. SMB2.x reduces the number of independent sessions required (and commands for that matter) to perform activities so should in theory be faster although it's really dependent on the latency of your network (and I imagine this is a home LAN so less of an issue).
(2014-05-23, 15:24)Packet Loss Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-23, 13:26)boredandlazy Wrote: [ -> ]That's interesting. The SMB performance on my setup from a QNAP seems slower than what I'd expect based on my experienced with Frodo so maybe you're onto something here.

It's possible they're connected but mine are handshake/authentication issues rather than performance.

It's been a while since I used a QNAP but I would see if SMB2.x is enabled and if it is try switching it off to see if performance improves. SMB2.x reduces the number of independent sessions required (and commands for that matter) to perform activities so should in theory be faster although it's really dependent on the latency of your network (and I imagine this is a home LAN so less of an issue).

I understand the difference between our issues, but the protocol which we are dealing with is the same and it just happens to be something which was updated in Gotham. Smile
My issues are with my home network which is running over GB ethernet. I also have issues with wireless streaming to my Nexus 7 tablet which don't occur if I use a different media player than XBMC.

Edit: Just did a bit of digging, it seems that QNAP might not support SMB2/3 yet. It's apparently coming in a firmware which is currently in beta.