Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Will My HTPC Work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a HTPC that I built years ago running Windows 7 currently, which is the only Windows I run in my house. It's hardware consists of AMD 4850e processor, 2 GB of Crucial DDR800, and a ATI HD 5450 Video Card. Those should be the most important hardware pieces needed to hopefully get my questions answered. First I would like to know if this hardware will work well with XBMCbuntu 13 Gotham. Next, HD Audio DTSHD and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming are a must, will my setup support this with XBMCbuntu? From what I am reading it should but if someone could elaborate that would be awesome i.e. what issues I could face. Last, I did a small test running XBMCbuntu from a USB Drive and I couldn't get the overscan issue rectified. Even using video calibration there was still a good portion of the top, bottom, left, and right cut off. I am running HDMI from the HTPC to my Yamaha Receiver and then onto my Sony TV. How do I fix the severe overscan, this is easy in Windows of course with ATI proprietary Drivers installed and using ATI CCC. I also know that FGLRX Drivers can't be used with these newer versions of Ubuntu, so what do I do to fix the resolution issue? Thanks.
(2014-05-24, 04:24)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Turn off overscan on your TV.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1113758

Thanks for the reply. I already have my TV set to Full as opposed to normal, wide zoom, or zoom. I guess it is worth mentioning that it is a KDS-55A3000 model, which is a rear projection LCD, meaning it uses a lamp. Not sure if that makes a difference compared to an LED or Flat Panel LCD. The overscan is still there, even with the full setting. As I said, this was the same in Windows but I can easily compensate for it using the AMD Catalyst Control Center Overscan settings. Thanks.