Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't write xbmcbuntu to bootable USB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Section 4.1 on the wiki page for Run or install XBMC from USB drive does not work with the xbmcbuntu-13.0~gotham_amd64.iso. It will attempt to write and then produce the following error:

Installation Failed
An uncaught exception was raised: Invalid version string '"Trusty"'

Tried it on Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.04 with the same results and same error text. The 12.2 iso (xbmcbuntu-12.2.Intel-AMD.2.iso) works without issue.
Try unetbootin.
unetbootin is a Mac tool, not Linux.
It is cross platform.
And that bug is not in xbmcbuntu ....
In that case, you could also just do it manually as outlined in section 6.2

The point is that section 4.1 is no longer valid for 13 gotham. I made a note of it on the discussion page.
(2014-05-25, 10:55)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]And that bug is not in xbmcbuntu ....

I tried to do this on Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop, failed.

Installed unetbootin on laptop, worked fine. Watching USB image install on media center PC as I am typing this.. All good

All this because update from 12.1 to 13.0 did not do MythTV (probably my fault)
(2014-05-25, 22:11)foobrew Wrote: [ -> ]In that case, you could also just do it manually as outlined in section 6.2

The point is that section 4.1 is no longer valid for 13 gotham. I made a note of it on the discussion page.

The point is that dont blame the guide, because bugs with the programs or because the programs haven't been updated or whatever the case may be, you can make all the notes you want in the wiki discussion pages, but ultimately it is opensource, so either fix the issue with the program or add some sections to the wiki docs to workaround the problem Big Grin

Yes, I can make this comment since it was me who wrote that wiki page, adapted and imporved vastly from ubuntu docs. Wink as before that, nothing at all existed, so as with all things opensource can be improved and its up to you to improve it since you the one who has the problem. Cheers Smile
Calm down. I'm not blaming the guide, I'm adding the information to it that that section doesn't currently work for 13. If someone fixes it, great. If nobody does then that's fine too since people will at least know they need to pick another solution that does work for that combo of XBMC + OS and they'll know it's not just them that it's not working correctly for.

Also, thanks for creating that wiki page in the first place, uNiversal. Definitely appreciated!
I am calm, you didnt read a word I said, Its community documentation, so you are very welcome to fix it yourself, instead of waiting for work to be done for you perhaps.).