Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu audio recently stopped working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Oddly the audio recently stopped working on my XBMCbuntu media center. It was running well for about a year and 2 days ago it stopped working, I thought the kids did some button mashing and somehow miss configured it, but I've check and triple checked all the settings in the XBMC system, the reciever and the physical connections themselves. I can find anything out of place.

The server is a Dell OptiPlex 780 (4GB RAM and 128GB SSD) with a Zotac Geforce GT218 Video/Audio card based on the Nvidia ION chipset.

Over the last few months I was experiencing a rare hang condition when I played music files through the center. Because of that problem, I updated from an older build to the newer build recently (details below). This seemed to fix the hangs when playing music. Obviously I could hear the music at the time, so life went on. I made these updates about 2 weeks before the audio stopped working altogether.

I am a competent Linux user and crawled through the FAQ. I have all the recommended tools installed and updated noted here. I also have Putty and WinSCP installed and can run any commands needed.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...nd_in_XBMC
I have not gone through the "How to remap the HDMI" section, because this was working for a long time and suddenly it stopped. There must be something simple here I'm missing and maybe I just don't see it in the logs. To setup the test, I enabled debug mode, cleared the existing log, shutdown the media center then did a clean boot. Next I started a movie, "A Knight's Tale" and allowed the logs to collect for a bit with no sound. Posted the xbmc.log below. The aplay output looks like this.

root@xbmc-pc2:~# aplay -l output
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
root@xbmc-pc2:~#

The hardware config is very simple. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR608 with 5 HDMI ports. The Zotac card is plugged into the Onkyo receiver via HDMI cable port5, and the Onkyo outputs to the TV. I have 5.1 Surround with all the standard modes of audio supported. So far I haven't ran into any video's I couldn't hear. Incidentally the video plays perfectly, so it doesn't appear to be a physical connection problem, which leave either some hardware went bad or a software config issue.

XBMC version is 13.0 git:420b5c | may 6 2014
Aeon Skin version 2.0.2 gotham | 2/7/2014

xbmc.log:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7513728/

I would appreciate any help or advice.
You have installed pulseaudio on your xbmcbuntu setup and most likely not configured it correctly. To revert to the "normal xbmcbuntu state", do:
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
Well that worked perfectly. Thank you. I wouldn't have figured that one out.