Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Laptop to HDTV by wireless
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am a newbee. I am very happy to be a member.

I already installed XBMC on my laptop. I can watch movies on laptop via XBMC, but I want to watch movies on big HDTV screen by wireless.
would you help me how to set up the wireless and what hardware or adapter to require to connect from laptop to HDTV?

Thanks please help

My laptop is HP window Vista

Thanks
You need something like http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-bes...ansmitter/, but I suggest you just use a normal HDMI cable.
The above link for IOGear device is very expensive. Is there any cheaper device? like Netgear Push2TV or similar ...

I just need a wireless device that I can watch movie on XMBC program from Laptop to HDTV.

Thanks
HDMI is not meant to be transported wirelessly, that's why devices are expensive. Just buy a cable like everyone else.
Cheap option is to buy a Chromecast which has a desktop mirroring function (cast entire screen), however this is still experimental so maybe buggy, I've seen reports that audio isn't always forwarded with the desktop display to the TV so sound still comes out of the laptop speakers for example.

The other slightly more expensive options use WiDi, which is what's required to use something like the Netgear Push2TV. Some laptops will have WiDi built in as it's included on most modern Intel chips, otherwise you need a WiDi transmitter dongle, which some solutions such as Screenbeam will include.
Thanks jjd-uk
I did think to buy the Netgear Push2TV, but my laptop is a window vista 2009, so it doesn't have WIDI build in.
Buy a freaking HDMI cable!

XBMC is actually designed to be used physically attached to the screen you watch on, usually via HDMI but of course DVI and VGA and component are all possibble. There may be other cool technologies that allow magical waves to dance through the air, but it is not xbmc's prime target and is not always supported well.

If you don't want to tie your laptop to the TV, go spend around $200 on an HTPC, load it with OpeneELEC and enjoy. Believe us, you'll be pleased you did :-)