Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon Fire TV or Pivos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm looking for an android box for XBMC + web browser apps.
From what I've understood in the FAQs these two are good options. I've noticed both are 99$ on Amazon.
Is there a preference for one of them in terms of performance? Is there a better one you would buy in a ~150$ budget?
Amazon Fire TV.
(2014-05-28, 00:23)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Amazon Fire TV.

based on what?

Pivos will be releasing a number of new models soonish. Running their own (XBMC gotham based) media player. Wait to see what they have in store before jumping to Fire TV
He's comparing the Fire TV to the Pivos XIOS DS, which are both on Amazon.com for $99. Between those two, I would get the Fire TV because it greatly out preforms the XIOS DS. If he can wait then Pivos likely has some really nice stuff coming out in the future, but I have no idea how close they are to releasing a new box, so I can only comment on the two options he is talking about.

That being said, I would go with an x86 system for a budget of $150.
(2014-05-28, 02:55)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]He's comparing the Fire TV to the Pivos XIOS DS, which are both on Amazon.com for $99. Between those two, I would get the Fire TV because it greatly out preforms the XIOS DS. If he can wait then Pivos likely has some really nice stuff coming out in the future, but I have no idea how close they are to releasing a new box, so I can only comment on the two options he is talking about.
Pivos own forum moderator wrote last week that they are actually planned on releasing the new Pivos XIOS XS on Friday this week

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3714

Pivos XIOS XS will be replacing the old Pivos XIOS DS as their new low-end entry-level model in a series of new media players
Actually, he said that it was for Thursday (yesterday) max Wink
But yeah, I guess it should be (finally) launched soon.
It might make me regret getting an Ouya two weeks ago [Spec sheet release]
The have the specs of the new pivos box out Pivos Specs pdf.

I thought they would go quadcore for this one. We will have to wait and see but I think the firetv might still be a better option. But Atleast the pivos would have usb storage .

Edit. Looks like mr bigglseworth beat me to it.
The Pivos XS will be a nice box, but the CPU on the Amazon Fire TV will be faster. The real benefit to the XS will be the ability to connect external hard drives, but semi pointless when transferring speeds are limited to 10/100.
(2014-05-28, 15:04)calev Wrote: [ -> ]The have the specs of the new pivos box out Pivos Specs pdf.

I thought they would go quadcore for this one. We will have to wait and see but I think the firetv might still be a better option. But Atleast the pivos would have usb storage .

I see they still don't have pause/play button wtf.

(2014-05-28, 23:45)kinison Wrote: [ -> ]The Pivos XS will be a nice box, but the CPU on the Amazon Fire TV will be faster. The real benefit to the XS will be the ability to connect external hard drives, but semi pointless when transferring speeds are limited to 10/100.
there supposed to release high end quad core models a little later and are rumored to have rf remotes with a keyboard.
(2014-05-28, 15:04)calev Wrote: [ -> ]The have the specs of the new pivos box out Pivos Specs pdf.

key words are 'new low-end entry-level model' Smile