Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc slow and choppy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys im new to this forum and kind of new to xbmc so be gentle lol.Right I have a decent spec pc quad core 8gb of ram hd graphics card etc..60mg broadband running actually around the 40 mark virgin for ya .Well ive transfered most of my film collection over so far about 308 films couple of playlists kids films my movies ,3d films etc..and slowly adding all artwork etc using aeon nox running perfectly really enjoying the massive amount of customisation this thing has then all of a sudden it starts scrolling slow and choppy through menus and film selections etc not playing films or nothing .
This is a new build just for htpc purposes and xbmc so no crap on nothing running in backgrounds please if you know whats gone wrong dont want to start all again im new to this so might have to let me know where to look for certain setting etc...sorry its long just trying to describe best I can thanks.
What SO and Graphics Card are you using? Does this happen when you power up your machine or it happens when the machine has been powered for a while?
If both the GUI and video playback is slowing down then something could be hogging resources.

First thing would be to move back to the Confluence skin (default) to see if you still get the problem.

Then go through and disabled any services you've enabled such as UPnP, webserver, airplay etc.

Then go through and disable any add-ons.

Strip it back so it's a basic install with just your local media library, if still getting the problems at this stage then post a debug log, see log_file (wiki)

If still getting problems then it could be your drivers, make sure these are up to date, but there has been issues with AMD for example, so please tell us what GPU you use.
Firstly thanks for the relpy's unfortunately im using amd equipment which ive read aint fhe best for xbmc im running windows 7 64 bit ultimate I've got dual graphics cards amd radeon hd 6670 and amd radeon hd 7560d all was working perfectly the other day the only change was I downloaded amd vision catalyst center so I could fill the 47" lcd its connected to but it working fine for days after so surely it can't be that.tried a new install gotham 13.0 still no change real laggy and slow tried confluence no change video and audio perfect 1080p just scrolling films and menus lags and stuff please any help was living till then.
Dual graphics cards, make sure that when you installed the Catalyst Center that the cards didn't go into hyper drive mode (hope that's the correct term)
XBMC seems to work best with one card at a time, but not both _ something to look into anyway.
Not sure about hyperdrive sounds like something off star trek lol.The hd radeon 7560d is the only one hooked up via hdmi the second one is setup so its dormant till power hungry games are fired up and works with the other so its not that.
Time for a debug log.

Another option for testing: install openelec to a usb stick and try that out. It'll isolate you down to the bare essentials.
Hi guys for some unknown reason I cant log into my account via desktop only via tablet so havent got my debug log to paste up but been told give u this xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=213041 hope you can give me some answer's by it looks complex to me at this time
Hi there while im waiting for someone to look at my debug log and at least make sense of it is there any tuts to how to do the openelec on a stick to test it out im a little unsure how that works.
the openelec wiki has installation instructions.

Just tell me something. Do you have gui sounds enabled? If so disable them and see if menus are still slow/choppy.
Im not sure where would I look for that setting
Done that makes no difference what should the audio imput ve I have a choice of 3 and would that make a difference
Try creating an

advancedsettings.xml

file in your userdata folder, for more details see AdvancedSettings.xml (wiki)

To this file add the following:

</advancedsettings>
<allowd3d9ex>false</allowd3d9ex>
</advancedsettings>

This has resolved some of the XBMC issues related to AMD drivers in the past.
Hi jjd-uk I appreciate the help mate tried your last suggestion put it in the proper userdate folder %appdata etc...no difference its like a second or so delay on the menu select etc...bothers me seeing as this time last week it was perfect any luck looking at the debug log
(2014-05-29, 10:26)The real blade Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure where would I look for that setting

Is there a sound every time you press a key to navigate around?
Pages: 1 2