Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Throttling?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does XBMC throttle the GPU at all? I was messing around with the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark today and noticed a pretty large drop in the benchmark score when XBMC is open. I have two monitors (a 1680x1050 screen that I use as my normal computer monitor, and a 1920x1080 TV for watching videos through XBMC), and I always have XBMC running on the second monitor.

Without the second monitor plugged in my score in the benchmark was ~9200, with it plugged in ~8900, and with XBMC sitting idle (on the home screen) on the second monitor the score drops to ~7300. Now, 7300 is still a great score, the game runs without a hitch, so I'm not really complaining. I'm just curious why having XBMC open (not running video or anything) makes such a large impact, and if there is anything I can do about it short of just closing it.

Thanks in advance.

Info:
XBMC 12.3
Windows 7 Home Prem
HD 7870
i7 920
6GB DDR3
1000W PSU
Running programs on an SSD
XBMC is an opengl application, that will always use some power, especially GPU wise.
Ah, thank you. I suppose if I ever need more from my GPU I can just close XBMC.