Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
(2014-08-06, 18:58)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]ignore the warning

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for Smile
(2014-08-07, 02:38)Traker1001 Wrote: [ -> ]Did you have a good trip? Big Grin
Well, we just had my dad visiting from New York for the week. We spent a lot of time driving around visiting people he wanted to see in the area. We did go river rafting at the end and that was fun. Temperature was over 100 degrees so the river felt nice. My dad also bought us dinner pretty much every day he was here, so I had to let my belt out a notch by the end of his visit Smile
In about 9 days we're heading up to Homer, Alaska. I'm definitely looking forward to that.
(2014-08-09, 04:58)Traker1001 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey It was asked of me recently if could run xbmc using GwMicro Window Eyes and it seems there is no back end for it. Actually I don't use window eyes or even have a copy of it myself, however, I figured I'd ask if you had looked into it? Smile
It looks like it is probably possible. I put it into my todo to look into it more thoroughly in the future.
(2014-07-24, 19:02)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everybody for taking the time for the appreciative comments. One of the reasons I enjoy working on this project is that I get to interact with a great group of people.

I've been spending less time on the project lately, and I wanted to assure everyone that I have not lost interest. I normally spend less time programming in the summer as I go camping often and engage in other outdoor activities. Next week I have family visiting from New York and at the end of August I will be camping up in Alaska for a week. Please continue to let me know of issues or questions, and I will continue to respond and write code as time allows.
I know no one expects me to tell them all my plans, but I just wanted to give a heads up so it's not unexpected if I'm less responsive.
-----

Ruuk, I've only just stumbled on your add-on! Fantastic! I tried it on my Windows setop and it worked flawlessly - thank you so much for all your work - this is exactly what I have been hoping for!

I'm having trouble getting it to run on my Mac setups though. I just get 'script failed: main.my' - or something like that - the message disappears by the time I magnify it.

I have tried on both mountain lion and mavrix with the same results. I am however still running the last 12 release of XBMC. I haven't had the nerve to update to Gothem. I have installed version 0.0.82 of the add-on.

Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help

Clare
(2014-08-12, 23:49)skippi666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-24, 19:02)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks everybody for taking the time for the appreciative comments. One of the reasons I enjoy working on this project is that I get to interact with a great group of people.

I've been spending less time on the project lately, and I wanted to assure everyone that I have not lost interest. I normally spend less time programming in the summer as I go camping often and engage in other outdoor activities. Next week I have family visiting from New York and at the end of August I will be camping up in Alaska for a week. Please continue to let me know of issues or questions, and I will continue to respond and write code as time allows.
I know no one expects me to tell them all my plans, but I just wanted to give a heads up so it's not unexpected if I'm less responsive.
-----

Ruuk, I've only just stumbled on your add-on! Fantastic! I tried it on my Windows setop and it worked flawlessly - thank you so much for all your work - this is exactly what I have been hoping for!

I'm having trouble getting it to run on my Mac setups though. I just get 'script failed: main.my' - or something like that - the message disappears by the time I magnify it.

I have tried on both mountain lion and mavrix with the same results. I am however still running the last 12 release of XBMC. I haven't had the nerve to update to Gothem. I have installed version 0.0.82 of the add-on.

Any ideas?

Clare

Most likely the it's something to do with using Frodo instead of Gotham. I would really recommend updating to Gotham as that is what is supported by the addon at this point. The OSX virtual machine I test with works fine with Gotham.

If you don't want to do that, I will probably need a log file.
(2014-08-12, 23:56)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-12, 23:49)skippi666 Wrote: [ -> ]

-----

Any ideas?

Clare

Most likely the it's something to do with using Frodo instead of Gotham. I would really recommend updating to Gotham as that is what is supported by the addon at this point. The OSX virtual machine I test with works fine with Gotham.

If you don't want to do that, I will probably need a log file.

---

Hi Ruuk, thanks so much for your reply.

I updated to 13.1 and of course, nothing terrible happened as I feared! However, it did not solve my problem. I've never done this before so I hope it's correct but here is the log file generated after launching xbmc and receiving the script error alert.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=267983

In addition, I can say that I installed the i386 build as I have had problems with using 86-64 with mashup in the past. Not sure if this would make a difference.

Also, I assumed the add-on would be able to use the voice-over on the mac, but do I need to install a different engine?

Thanks again for any help Smile

Clare
(2014-08-13, 23:55)skippi666 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Ruuk, thanks so much for your reply.

I updated to 13.1 and of course, nothing terrible happened as I feared! However, it did not solve my problem. I've never done this before so I hope it's correct but here is the log file generated after launching xbmc and receiving the script error alert.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=267983

In addition, I can say that I installed the i386 build as I have had problems with using 86-64 with mashup in the past. Not sure if this would make a difference.

Also, I assumed the add-on would be able to use the voice-over on the mac, but do I need to install a different engine?

Thanks again for any help Smile

Clare

That was perfect and I found the error. I'll have a fix soon. Hopefully that is the only error Smile
Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.83.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Fix for errors on platforms with Python 2.6

skippi666: This should fix the issue you are having. Let me know if you have any others.

(2014-08-14, 00:08)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I assumed the add-on would be able to use the voice-over on the mac, but do I need to install a different engine?

I forgot to answer this. The addon will use the built in speech engine on OSX, so if that is what you mean then it should work fine.
Hello,

It has been requested that support for the Dolphin API, used by some Windows screen readers, be added to this project whenever possible. API documentation is available at:
http://www.yourdolphin.com/scripting_lib...dolapi.zip

You can see an example of interaction with the API from Python at:
http://hg.q-continuum.net/accessible_out...dolphin.py

Many thanks for your excellent work on this.
(2014-08-14, 17:46)jscholes Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

It has been requested that support for the Dolphin API, used by some Windows screen readers, be added to this project whenever possible. API documentation is available at:
http://www.yourdolphin.com/scripting_lib...dolapi.zip

You can see an example of interaction with the API from Python at:
http://hg.q-continuum.net/accessible_out...dolphin.py

Many thanks for your excellent work on this.

I've added that to my todo list.
Thanks for the link to the python usage. That project also implements GwMicro Window Eyes which was previously requested so it's doubly helpful.
(2014-08-14, 00:31)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]Added a new version to my repository: 0.0.83.

You can also get it or the repository from the Downloads Page.

Changes:
  • Fix for errors on platforms with Python 2.6

skippi666: This should fix the issue you are having. Let me know if you have any others.

(2014-08-14, 00:08)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I assumed the add-on would be able to use the voice-over on the mac, but do I need to install a different engine?

I forgot to answer this. The addon will use the built in speech engine on OSX, so if that is what you mean then it should work fine.

--

0.083 works perfectly on my mac Smile Thank you so much... you are a star!
(2014-08-14, 19:34)skippi666 Wrote: [ -> ]0.083 works perfectly on my mac Smile Thank you so much... you are a star!

Thanks for letting me know.

Another user said that speech was currently slow on OSX. Are you observing this? It's hard for me to tell with a virtual machine, which is slow in every way.

In any case he pointed me some info on using VoiceOver (which you mentioned before) via AppleScript which I added to my todo list.
(2014-08-14, 19:57)Traker1001 Wrote: [ -> ]Ruuk, just for the purposes even before the fix I didn't observe this. However, my experience was limited.

Just out of curiosity, Before your fix, Any idea why mine would have worked ok and not Skippis?

His installation used python 2.6 while yours must have had python 2.7, either that or I added the part that caused the bug later. Currently addons need to be developed against python 2.6 since that is the highest version you can count on, although most platforms have 2.7. I had inadvertently used a method that is only on 2.7 and up, so I replaced it with the equivalent 2.6 method.
(2014-08-14, 19:40)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-14, 19:34)skippi666 Wrote: [ -> ]0.083 works perfectly on my mac Smile Thank you so much... you are a star!

Another user said that speech was currently slow on OSX. Are you observing this? It's hard for me to tell with a virtual machine, which is slow in every way.

In any case he pointed me some info on using VoiceOver (which you mentioned before) via AppleScript which I added to my todo list.

--

The speech rate is slow but for me, the responsiveness is not:- very snappy I thought Smile
(2014-08-14, 20:21)skippi666 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-14, 19:40)ruuk Wrote: [ -> ]

--

The speech rate is slow but for me, the responsiveness is not:- very snappy I thought Smile

Thanks.

By the way the rate is adjustable in the addon settings.
Traker1001: I just wanted to thank you for handling the request for inclusion of the addon into Kodi, and all your other help in the forums. I really appreciate it. Not only does this free up some of my time, but in instances like the inclusion request, It keeps me from feeling like (or even perhaps sounding like) I'm asking for special treatment for an addon I wrote. Of course I'm probably over-thinking it, but thanks anyway Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43