Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio in desktop mode of XBMCbuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running XBMCbuntu Gotham. I have loaded steam onto the desktop portion of the OS. However, when I launch games, I don't have any audio. How can I fix this?
Create a .asoundrc in your $HOME directory that sets the default device. Please use the forum search that has been answered approx 23 times now and 21 times for Steamers.
Xbmcbuntu 13 final does this by default.
(2014-06-03, 11:49)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]Xbmcbuntu 13 final does this by default.

I'm using Xbmcbuntu 13 final. I get audio when I open up the browser and watch a youtube video, but not with anything else.
You need a .asoundrc file with dmix enabled or pulseaudio to get sound out of both steam big picture mode and games. See my signature for some info about setting either up.
(2014-06-03, 22:00)teeedubb Wrote: [ -> ]You need a .asoundrc file with dmix enabled or pulseaudio to get sound out of both steam big picture mode and games. See my signature for some info about setting either up.

Can you go into a little more detail about this?
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

Create a file .asoundrc

Code:
/etc/asound.conf

and put defaults in there

Code:
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw          
    card 0
}

This assumes your card number that output sound is 0.