Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rollback query
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if it`s been asked before.Would like to go back to Frodo but can`t seem to figure it out.I`m on ubuntu 14.04 lts.
Thanks in advance.
Don't expect a reply to this.

Gotham has completely ruined my home theatre. I've been forced to switch to plex just to be able to watch movies.
I've posted several times in this forum and provided plenty of logs, but either no-one can do anything to fix it or they just don't care.
Let alone all the people that can't use pass-thru audio anymore.

Gotham is just a bag of hurt and no upside.

The least the devs could do is provide an option to go back to a version that actually works.
Thanks for your reply Skeo,yes pass thru was my main issue.Was almost thinkin of reinstalling 13.10 where it all worked.
Pass-thru is the most fixable of the issues I've come across.

Despite what the wiki says, no amount of messing around with the pulse audio settings has done anything.
You need to tell xbmc to use alsa instead of pulse audio.

If you run from the command line you just add an environment variable to the boot line

Code:
AE_SINK=ALSA xbmc

if you open xbmc through unity, you will need to edit the link file.

search for the xbmc.desktop file. Mine was inside /usr/share/applications/
if you can't find it, running this from the terminal should get you there.

Code:
find / -name xbmc.desktop

Open the file in a text editor and edit the execution line.
Change
Code:
Exec=xbmc
to
Code:
Exec=env AE_SINK=ALSA xbmc

Then when you open xbmc, go into the system - audio settings and set it all up how you had before.

You should get pass-thru back. But you may or may not disable audio on everything else on your system. Seemed to work ok for me, my problem was/is videos not playing, which is quite a bit more of a dealbreaker.
No problems with video not working here. Operator error?
@Skeo Pulseaudio seems to work for a lot of people, so what you're saying can't be true. Regarding the fact that you never solved your video playback problem, that's probably because you never uploaded a sample anywhere for others to test.
so defensive. haha. so predictable.

operator error. Nope.

No samples. Nope.

There are zero replies to my thread asking for more detail than the many examples and multiple logs I already posted.
Just some smarmy comments because i didn't submit my log right the first time.
My guess is noone knows how to fix the bug and noone is willing to admit they don't know.

Pretty typical from open source if you ask me.

"its free, stop complaining. If you don't like it don't use it"

yup typical. Fail.
My mistake. There has been some developer activity on my thread in the last few hours.
I wonder how much of that is because I've been bad-mouthing here.....
All your logs were from testing the same file. That is not much more helpful than a single log.

I suppose people take it more seriously when people start asking for how to downgrade to an older unsupported version. The fact remains that the people who are having issues with Gotham are even fewer than the people who had issues with Frodo when it was released, so things aren't exactly getting worse.
(2014-06-06, 12:32)negge Wrote: [ -> ]@Skeo Pulseaudio seems to work for a lot of people, so what you're saying can't be true.

I have tried absolutely every combination of everything possible to get pass-thru working through pulseaudio. It doesn't work. And if its not working for me, it must be not working for LOTS of people. My system is not particularly unique.

I suspect it hasn't been reported much because most people don't use pass-thru for AC3 and DTS. Or most people haven't noticed that its stopped working because it usually downmixes and the audio plays with PLII anyway. If you read the threads, there are enough people complaining about gotham breaking audio to know its a MASSIVE issue.

To be fair. The AE_SINK=ALSA solution I recommended above came from the wiki. BUT BUT BUT who uses the command line to open xbmc? really? who?
And if you don't (everybody) then exporting an environment variable doesn't do anything.

The steps I added to include an environment variable with a unity link I had to find out for myself. And they are not obvious.

At the very least, the documentation should include information about how to make things work on a common operating system. i.e. ubuntu.
Even better, would be for the option to use alsa to be something you can set in the settings. Wouldn't that be a novel idea!! /sarcasm

(2014-06-06, 16:55)negge Wrote: [ -> ]All your logs were from testing the same file. That is not much more helpful than a single log.

I suppose people take it more seriously when people start asking for how to downgrade to an older unsupported version. The fact remains that the people who are having issues with Gotham are even fewer than the people who had issues with Frodo when it was released, so things aren't exactly getting worse.

And why wasn't that feedback provided in my original thread?
I'm in the process of creating and testing video files that aren't 2-3GB for samples and will provide more logs in due time. give me a day.

I'm happy to help and I am far from a luddite, but seriously guys. Basic rules of customer service. Replies and feedback are not only easier, but also more important than solutions. Ignore people and you will just piss them off.
I hate that I have to start abusing people to get some attention.
You have to go back to page 2 in the Linux support forum to find anything related to Pulseaudio, and it hasn't had any new unique issues in a while. I agree that getting Pulseaudio to work the way you want is not maybe as straight-forward as it could be (e.g. the fact that you have to set it to stereo mode in order to get passthrough working, did you check that?), but that's not something that XBMC can do anything about.

For what it's worth it should be possible to add the environment variable to /etc/environment if I'm not mistaken, that way you don't have to modify any shortcuts.

Finally, the wiki explains clearly that if you for whatever reason can't get Pulseaudio to work you can either uninstall it or use the environment variable. The reason for the environment variable is that it's not possible to change to ALSA once Pulseaudio is loaded, only the other way around (or something like that). You'd think if there was an easier solution it would be used by now.
Skeo Wrote:I'm happy to help and I am far from a luddite, but seriously guys. Basic rules of customer service. Replies and feedback are not only easier, but also more important than solutions. Ignore people and you will just piss them off.

You seem to be forgetting that you didn't buy this service from us.
(2014-06-06, 18:13)negge Wrote: [ -> ]You have to go back to page 2 in the Linux support forum to find anything related to Pulseaudio,
I've been watching the forums with some interest lately. It does not take long for things to move to page two. next excuse please.
Quote:I agree that getting Pulseaudio to work the way you want is not maybe as straight-forward as it could be (e.g. the fact that you have to set it to stereo mode in order to get passthrough working, did you check that?),
yes. I read the wiki top to bottom several time. I've tried EVERYTHING. nothing has worked. It may just be my system, but like I said, there is nothing particularly unique about my system. its a pc running ubuntu with a hdmi port out of the graphics card. whoop.

Quote:For what it's worth it should be possible to add the environment variable to /etc/environment if I'm not mistaken, that way you don't have to modify any shortcuts.
if that works? why isn't it in the wiki?

Quote:Finally, the wiki explains clearly that if you for whatever reason can't get Pulseaudio to work you can either uninstall it or use the environment variable. The reason for the environment variable is that it's not possible to change to ALSA once Pulseaudio is loaded, only the other way around (or something like that).
I tried uninstalling pulse. That did weird things to the system including completely breaking audio for everything else.
Why can't there be a setting that just says "this will require a restart" or even make it a configurable option in the userdata/advancedsettings.xml
More importantly, it worked perfectly in frodo. why is it so hard to make it work in gotham?

Quote:You'd think if there was an easier solution it would be used by now.
I remain skeptical. I can think of plenty of easier solutions (i.e. the two above) and have trouble understanding why they wouldn't work. I admit to not being a developer, but that just makes me think there are things I haven't thought of that should be possible.

(2014-06-06, 18:32)negge Wrote: [ -> ]
Skeo Wrote:I'm happy to help and I am far from a luddite, but seriously guys. Basic rules of customer service. Replies and feedback are not only easier, but also more important than solutions. Ignore people and you will just piss them off.

You seem to be forgetting that you didn't buy this service from us.

not forgetting at all. refer to my other post.
I'm trying to help. What I don't like is people being unhelpful and snooty and I'm more than happy to call BS when I see it.
I suggest you open a new thread one provide all the required logs etc., if there really is a bug in there which makes it not work for you then that's the only way it'll ever get fixed eventually.

Quote:I tried uninstalling pulse. That did weird things to the system including completely breaking audio for everything else.
Why can't there be a setting that just says "this will require a restart" or even make it a configurable option in the userdata/advancedsettings.xml
More importantly, it worked perfectly in frodo. why is it so hard to make it work in gotham?

It worked in Frodo because Frodo didn't support Pulseaudio at all, it used ALSA directly which is what AE_SINK=alsa does. The main idea is that XBMC uses whatever audio system the user has installed, so if you have Pulseaudio it obeys and uses it. I totally agree that switching to ALSA should be easier but I doubt there will be another solution for a while at least.