Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC + Ouya still crashing ( Logs attached )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So Recently i asked for help, and Ned offered to help, but said the logs were fine.
Got 2 crashes in a row today , had both logs saved, and i'm hoping this time it shows the reason my xbmc keeps crashing . I would really appreciate it if someone could look into them and tell me why xbmc keeps crashing .

When does it crash ? ( After booting ouya [ could be several times in a row ] ) , After changing external hard drive attached
What does the crash look like : ( Video freezes, usually the sound stays unaffected , and i have to click the ouya button twice in a row to exit xbmc and start it again )

Usually the crash happens after 3-10 minutes of opening the media file ( Video ) , Once it stops crashing i can keep streaming for days with no crashes, but a simple reboot or change of external hard drive triggers the crashes . ( i have movies on one drive, shows on another, and i don't like keeping my ouya on for days without giving it any rest.

The log files ( 2 seperate crashes )

http://pastebin.com/HfTM6jjq
http://pastebin.com/g4U0YaAc

I would reallyyyyy appreciate help with this, it's really annoying me, contemplating on just getting a new box for xbmc, but i really wish this box doesn't go to waste, i'm not rich!
You don't happen to have any of the Xposed mods installed for the OUYA, like to load the Google Play store? I was having some stability issues on my OUYA until I downgraded the Xposed framework to version 2.5.1, which can be done via the Xposed Installer.

I'm also doing some stress testing on my OUYA right now using an external drive. I meant to do this sooner, but life keeps happening :)

I'll let you know what I find out from the "stress tests".
Thanks so much, and no i haven't used any xposed mods on my ouya, should i install it?

Really appreciate this!
Just sold my Ouya.
I had Frodo and Gotham. I tried every single media type file. I tried every setting available. I played from a hard drive plugged in.

Many weeks of frustration due to the box freezing non-stop. I couldn't get through even 10 minutes on any video type.

Cut your losses. Get a Chromebox. I've had everything play amazing! It froze a few times, but only if I swap settings a lot in a row. Never while playing anything. It's almost perfect. Took a little bet to get configured, but not bad once you figure it out.

...win..
I have been OUYA for a long while now with XBMC.
Have never had any problems crashing or otherwise. One time I had a problem with GOtv and the metadata but that was an easy fix.

Consider myself lucky?
Mcbutton, your issue is worse than mine by the looks of it , this is kind of my last attempt to find a solution on my ouya. I love my ouya when i don't have to reboot or change hard drive, i could go for a month and i wouldn't have a single issue , but once i decide to change the hard drive, or reboot then it's mayhem, and no one likes getting out of bed and starting everything again .

Is chromebox really the best thing i could get as a box for xbmc right now?
There might be something to this OUYA issue with USB hard drives. I haven't quite had the crashes you guys have described just yet (still testing it with a USB drive) but I have noticed some interesting things. For one, the OUYA does things every time is drive is mounted or removed, such as scanning it for games and whatnot. Doing so can cause XBMC to crash or quit (not sure which just yet, but likely a forced quit like when one switches apps).

This might be unrelated to any real crash issue, but it might at least be a hint as to where an issue might be. OUYA is doing extra "stuff" with the external USB drives that I don't see on other Android boxes, so it's a place to start looking.

As far as the OUYA goes over-all:

Even with a few hours so far of it playing off of a drive, and all the days I've used it with my NAS, I've been pleased with it. That being said, a NUC or Chromebox, or any mini x86 PC, will be a lot more capable and stable due to it being just that much more powerful and mature as far as development goes. Depending on the situation, this might never really be an issue for the user, and some might not see a significant difference, while others will.

I wouldn't give up on the OUYA you already have just yet, but if you ever feel at the end of your rope, go with a miniPC box for your next HTPC ;)
Thanks Ned for trying, anything i can talk to ouya about ? Or is there any way to have 2 external hard drives in the ouya? Then that won't crash me since i won't be switching
If you go into the OUYA settings and then Advanced settings -> Developer options -> you can turn off a setting that says something like "destroy activities". That will prevent XBMC from quitting when you switch drives. Basically, that setting allows apps to run in the background. On the OUYA it's enabled to ensure that each game/app that is opened has the full attention and resources of the OUYA and doesn't have to share CPU power with something running in the background.
Go to video settings...Decode: hardware. Render: Auto. Everything is set to off.  See if that helps. Worked for my Chromebox. ..also, Ouya recognizes drives oddly and wi'll add empty folders from your first drive to the second if you swap on the fly. All my movie folders just show up on my tv drive, for example. I'm glad to be rid of it. Mine also got very hot and would reset if I touched it while a little staticy. Chromebox rocks my socks. =}
Trying these ! Will update you guys how it goes
Sorry guys, tried both of ur ideas seperately , i think i give up, i'll start thinking towards the chromebox, thanks so much Ned for trying for so long, and mcbutton for your idea aswell.
I have 2 OUYA and both is working fine. Actually it works rock solid. I think the issue would be external harddisk (not enough power?) . Using powered hub probably help. But it just my guess.

I use OUYA mainly for streaming from local server / internet streams and it works better than 90% android devices I encountered.
The issue suddenly started on my Ouya after 1 year of working smoothly. When I read TV shows from the USB HD it will freeze but the sound still played. It was also doing it from the movies on my NAS but seemed to go away once I disconnect the local USB HD. I saw similar issues with the Ouya You Tube application. I moved all the games from the USB Hard Drive back to the Ouya HD. After a reboot, it seems to be working fine for now.
I did not have many things: You Tube, PlayCast, Gun Slugs, Full Blast, Pandora, Age of Zombies,Fist Puncher, Fancy Asteroids, So many me.
So I think, that one of many of them would be accessed for some update check or what ever reason, causing the bug. Hopefully someone can find a real fix not just a work around like I did.