Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IP address
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can I change my IP address, if so how
There are ways, but none are particularly easy or intuitive. Why do you need to change your IP address?

If it's not specifically an XBMC issue, you'd be better off asking on the forums of whichever Android device you have (or at least a general Android forum).
Thanks for reply I bought the minix x7 box to watch uk tv . But it will not work with my IP address
If you mean that you have a non-UK IP address from your ISP, and you're trying to watch UK TV such as iPlayer - welcome to the world of geoblocking. There's nothing you can easily do at a device level, because the IP address in question is at the edge of your house (so to speak): all machines on your home LAN will appear with the address as given to you by your ISP, and that's - by the nature of a routed network - firmly geographical in nature.

You need to look into VPN/proxy services that basically allow you to 'tunnel' through the internet from where you are to where you want to pretend to be before your traffic pops out onto the Internet in that target country. The broadcasters can't then tell where you are and will treat you as if you're genuinely in that target country - in this case, the UK.

They're commonly used to watch Hulu from outside of the US, or switch between US and non-US Netflix catalogues.

EDIT

All that does assume that you're not actually in the UK, of course. If you are, and you're trying to access UK services, then something else is screwed.
Have tried a proxy but when I got as far as changing the IP address , I then found it impossible to change the DNS, I could click on it but the keyboard would not show
Pass, I'm afraid. You'd be better off asking in the forums of whatever you're using as your proxy and/or the minix forums, as this sort of issue really isn't XBMC-specific. Maybe someone will stumble in, though.
Ok thanks