Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on S4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I would like to install XBMC on my S4 i9500.
I tried like 10 times and I keep getting the error App not installed. I downloaded the official ARM release form http://xbmc.org/download/, twice. no go. I rebooted the cell. no go. Tried with and without SD, no go. I triple-checked I have unknown sources checked.
I have Kitkat 4.4.2, and 1.5 Gb free.

I even tried the x86 version which ironically did installed but obviously didn't work, so I uninstalled it.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated
I've tried to install two weeks ago one app on friends S4 and got a same result as you.
I succeeded only after deleting the "protection" app. I don't remember the name of it but it's like a virus scanner. I don't know if that was a Samsung's app or a provider's one (Vodafone branded).
I don't believe I have any app like that. Do you have the name?
I tried a different version, the 12.3 and that one did work. However the app is not stable. It froze 1 out of 3 times Sad

Any suggestion?
I have done the very same thing a few days ago on my brand new S4. Except my install was successful after I checked (ticked) the following settings in Settings > security:

Unknown sources
Verify apps

You may have already tried this in which case sorry for the lame advice!
Also after I installed 13.1 successfully then I unchecked the above settings again as I doubt I will be side-loading any more apps in the above manner.
I tried as ED-209 said just in case, but I still have the issue :'(

Any suggestion?
have you tried downloading from a browser other than the stock browser, install google chrome and try from there.
The app is called Lookout if I'm not mistaken and its a Samsung app.
Disable it, install Xbmc.
I couldn't find the Lookout app or any app with a similar name in it.

@ED-209 Using Chrome did the trick. I thought all browsers used the same download app but looks like they don't Thanks for your help!! Big Grin

Its working very well on local files as well on network ones. I do like version 13. Big Grin

However I'm a little disappointed with the Hi10 playback on Android. XBMC plays fine the format in Windows but not in Android. I tried HW as well as SW decodding with no difference. It's a shame since MX player does it fairly well on the same device.
djneo - glad you got it resolved. Submit a ticket about Hi10 playback if I were you. We need to get Android performance as good if not better than other platforms, with the amount of android devices that are emerging.
Just found this here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android

H.264 videos encoded with Hi10P profile will not work on most Android hardware as there are no ARM processors powerful enough to software decode it, and no hardware decoders exist for it.
(2014-06-22, 03:11)ED-209 Wrote: [ -> ]Just found this here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Android

H.264 videos encoded with Hi10P profile will not work on most Android hardware as there are no ARM processors powerful enough to software decode it, and no hardware decoders exist for it.

Yes, I read that article and I do understand what they mean there. That's why I haven't submit any ticket for this. Sad I just brought that topic up because MX Player did plays those files on the same device, same hardware an it plays fairly well, I guess it's because they are using a different decode algorithm that uses the resources more efficently.

Maybe we haven't got there yet because that is not a very popular video format so it's not a priority. I have my hopes up that this shouldnt be an issue in a near future Wink
I'm sure Team XBMC will be eager to get performance for this file type on par with MX Player. You coukd submit a question type ticket to ask what the plans are for Hi10 on Android, mentioning that MX Player performance currently surpasses XBMC in this area.
(2014-06-22, 04:29)djneo Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe we haven't got there yet because that is not a very popular video format so it's not a priority. I have my hopes up that this shouldnt be an issue in a near future Wink

You mean with more powerful devices that can software-decode just about anything?

As for not being a very popular format, why, oh why, are the majority of files I end up playing on XBMC Hi10P. Laugh
With enough CPU power XBMC should play some Hi10P videos. Maybe the 720 ones at an average bitrate. Is it completely failing to play anything at all, or is it just stuttering and unable to keep up?
Also, here's an interesting thread about this on Samsung hardware that goes further into the technical details: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2468394
Pages: 1 2