Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Gotham 13.1 spdif stereo only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just did a fresh isntall of xbmcubuntu 13.1 and have an issue with audio. I can only get stereo in my spdif output. My receiver detects a dolby digital signal but its only stereo. Ive tried several movies and I get stereo for Dolby digital and DTS. Any help? Here are my audio settings.

On the top of that System Setting, select the analog output, and set the number of channels to 2
SPDIF: http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF is 2 pcm channels only. 5.1 multi channel is only possible via passthrough, ac3, dts. Your settings are correct an multi channel is automatically transcoded to AC3.
Since the user has passthrough enabled he must be hitting some kind of stereo downmixing. Transcoding should only happen for incompatible audio formats, i.e, Dolby TrueHD, PCM5.1 & FLAC.
(2014-06-16, 13:45)Drag0nFly Wrote: [ -> ]Since the user has passthrough enabled he must be hitting some kind of stereo downmixing. Transcoding should only happen for incompatible audio formats, i.e, Dolby TrueHD, PCM5.1 & FLAC.

If the user has chosen SPDIF as main output, on top the Syste Setting/Audio output (not visible in the picture) then xbmc will never set passthrough.
The only way is to select an analog format as main output, then select 2.0 as number of loudspeakers. This will make passthrough work properly.

...don't ask me why.
(2014-06-16, 14:06)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-16, 13:45)Drag0nFly Wrote: [ -> ]Since the user has passthrough enabled he must be hitting some kind of stereo downmixing. Transcoding should only happen for incompatible audio formats, i.e, Dolby TrueHD, PCM5.1 & FLAC.

If the user has chosen SPDIF as main output, on top the Syste Setting/Audio output (not visible in the picture) then xbmc will never set passthrough.
The only way is to select an analog format as main output, then select 2.0 as number of loudspeakers. This will make passthrough work properly.

...don't ask me why.
Curious. I am using the exact same configuration myself–with the main output set to the S/PDIF device–and it runs passthrough for everything but TrueHD, PCM5.1 & FLAC. The receiver is always reporting the correct amount of channels when being fed the passthrough signal from XBMC.
I've been running this setup for quite some time now, and the latest mainline build I tested with it was from Jun 11th. Obviously if something has changed since then the behaviour might obviously be different now.
(2014-06-16, 14:30)Drag0nFly Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-06-16, 14:06)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: [ -> ]

...don't ask me why.
Curious. I am using the exact same configuration myself–with the main output set to the S/PDIF device–and it runs passthrough for everything but TrueHD, PCM5.1 & FLAC. The receiver is always reporting the correct amount of channels when being fed the passthrough signal from XBMC.
I've been running this setup for quite some time now, and the latest mainline build I tested with it was from Jun 11th. Obviously if something has changed since then the behaviour might obviously be different now.

I forgot to tell you that I use Gotham 13.1
And I'm on 14.0-Alpha1 (Git:20140612-8408985) currently.
It's exactly that behaviour as it already was. People are only confused cause "speaker selection" is not available when spdif is selected out of a very obvious reason.

After all that trouble that I see here, I think of allowing a placebo setting and handle it in the Engine ... So that user can set whatever they want, but only let 2pcm channels into the engine.

I think I will update my signature :-)
See Signature.
Yes, I think that is a very good idea @fritsch. 2ch has possibly been set at some point before the S/PDIF setting was activated, making it function as some sort of 'dummy setting' to allow proper passthrough. (My only guess since I've never noticed issues with this before.)
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master....cpp#L1482 <- check that. It's already there, so user should not be able to change anything no matter which setting, it's reset to 2 pcm channels.
#4902 is I believe the same PR as the TrueHD fix. Wink

Code:
jmarshallnz yesterday at 3:20 AM Merge pull request #4902 from FernetMenta/buf
... which has nothing to do with 2 channel layout.
Which isn't what I was suggesting. Just that the PR was the same.
Pages: 1 2 3 4