Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2015-12-17, 19:12)Maaarv Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I just upgraded to Jarvis aswell and the Artists tag works great.
But I have a different problem now and I don't know what's the reason behind it.

I have a few artists that have there own alphabetical order in the library.
basically it looks like this:

It looks to me like you have a leading "space" in the artist name string. You need to check your tags and see what is causing that.

scott s.
wow thanks for this find. I think I found the issue.

In Picard I am using " / " instead of "/" as a seperator.
Now for example for the artist "Yelawolf" I have a track on another album where he apears as a featured artist.
So the artists tag look like this: Juicy J / Yelawolf
When I let Kodi read my music folder to the library it finds the artist "Yelawolf" from this track BEFORE the actual Yelawolf folder is scanned (because of the alphabetical order).
It seems that Kodi then puts Yelawolf with the leading space to the library.

Can someone maybe have a look at this?
Is this something that can be fixed before the final release?
I really don't want to retag my whole library again Sad
(2015-12-17, 23:07)Maaarv Wrote: [ -> ]wow thanks for this find. I think I found the issue.

Now for example for the artist "Yelawolf" I have a track on another album where he apears as a featured artist.
When I let Kodi read my music folder to the library it finds the artist "Yelawolf" from this track BEFORE the actual Yelawolf folder is scanned (because of the alphabetical order).

I think you are right. I assume these are ID3 v2.3 tags?

scott s.
yes, I use v2.3.
Is there something I can do to change the separators to "/" without touching the tags with picard?
(2015-12-17, 19:12)Maaarv Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I just upgraded to Jarvis aswell and the Artists tag works great.
But I have a different problem now and I don't know what's the reason behind it.

I have a few artists that have there own alphabetical order in the library.
basically it looks like this:

As you can see,the artists from Jay-Z to Yelawolf are sorted in an alphabetical order at the top.
The rest of the artists is shown correctly.

I don't know how this happens. The only thing I recognized is that these are all artists that have another artist of the library featured somewhere or are featured on another album.
But the same is true for other artists in that list where the issue does not appear Sad

Does anyone has an idea?
I was so happy that the artists issue is solved and now there is the next problem Tongue

Just to be sure, what is your sort order?
EDIT:
I didn't realise that the question was already answered.
Why don't you use 2.4 tags, I switched to them ages ago and all my devices understand them as well as Kodi?
I don't know I always used v2.3.
What would be the benefit in using 2.4 and can I change to 2.4 somehow without losing my existing tags?

But if I stay on v2.3 what would be the best solution to change the separators to "/"?
(2015-12-18, 12:19)Maaarv Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know I always used v2.3.
What would be the benefit in using 2.4 and can I change to 2.4 somehow without losing my existing tags?

But if I stay on v2.3 what would be the best solution to change the separators to "/"?

The big advantage is that 2.4 was designed to allow for more artists and more info. If you change in Picard to 2.4 and retag all your albums you will get all the same tags and more. Assuming you did not edit the tags manually.
This is what you will get with v2.4 for "Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams" for instance.
hm, over the time I made some manual adjustments.
Maybe I should try converting to v2.4 with mp3tag.
I just hope it will convert all the custom tags I have through the last.fm.plus plugin correctly.

I think I'll give it a try the next days.
Is there someone who did something similar? Are there any kown issues I should be aware of?

Of course, the best solution for me would be if Kodi would recognize the blank after the separator.
Can this be solved somehow maybe?

Thx in advance
I did it years back but decided to retag everything and leave everything default as it came from musicbrainz. I do use the last/fm plus plugin for Picard but I also left that default.
This way I can always retag an album without the worry that I will lose info because everything is default Smile
The main reason to use 2.4 tags, is that the tags use UTF-8 encoding, and allow/specify a "null" to be used as a value separator. Thus there is no need to tell Kodi about any separator, nor do you need to play around in your tagging software to get the separators right. If you go this route, you need to see if Picard can convert your tags and remove the " / ". For this reason I have used APE tags in mp3, as I have some software that only uses 2.3 so I couldn't just convert my ID3 tags.

scott s.
(2015-12-17, 23:07)Maaarv Wrote: [ -> ]wow thanks for this find. I think I found the issue.

A bug is leaving trailing and leading spaces in artist names for v2.3. I have raised PR8648 to fix it and have a Jarvis test build here http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...a-HEAD.exe, which it would be useful if you could test.
thank you for fixing this problem. I will test the build with some files.
Unfortunately I already retagged my whole library with "/" as separator (still using v2.3 because of compatibility).
So everything regarding the artists tag is working now as expected.

But what I notice now is that I can't browse for genres anymore.
For example I have the genre field of one file tagged with "Pop Punk/Punk/Punk Rock"

When I was using " / " as separator I was able to browse for each genre individually.
Now I can just browse for the full string (Pop Punk/Punk/Punk Rock).

Is this going to be fixed aswell?
I take it you don't have any AC/DC tracks in your collection Smile

Shame about the retagging, I was fairly quick with a fix. To be honest "/" (no spaces) is not a good delimiter, ";" would be better (not in names or genres etc.), even better would be Kodi handling multiple separator values e.g. colon, semi-colon, space-slash-space in tag data.

I thought that genre should be using the item separator like everything else, so should be split into separate values but sounds like it isn't.... I will check what is happening when I get a chance.

Or you could change the tags back Smile
So I tested my problematic files with the build from Github and it worked using the separator with blanks.
The genre browsing is working again aswell. Smile
Thank you very much!

Maybe I will retag everything again then Tongue

Is this fix going to be implemented in the final Jarvis release?

One more question regarding the AC/DC issue.
I always used to tag AC/DC as AC DC and never had problems with it this way.
Now, with the new fix, I should be able to leave AC/DC as it is right?
I always thought Kodi would have a problem with the location of the songs as the folder would be named "ACDC" (without the slash) in Windows.
How is Kodi handling this?

Thanks again for this fix!
(2015-12-29, 14:49)Maaarv Wrote: [ -> ]So I tested my problematic files with the build from Github and it worked using the separator with blanks.
The genre browsing is working again aswell. Smile
Thank you very much!
Thanks for testing it. Testing my own work is never the best thing, users sometimes come up with things I would never have thought of, so always good to have user testing.

Quote:Maybe I will retag everything again then Tongue
Enjoy Tongue
There is satisfaction in a well tagged library.

Quote:Is this fix going to be implemented in the final Jarvis release?
Yes, especially now it has been tested Smile

Quote:One more question regarding the AC/DC issue.
I always used to tag AC/DC as AC DC and never had problems with it this way.
Now, with the new fix, I should be able to leave AC/DC as it is right?
Yes, as long as slash (no spaces) is not the separator then "AC/DC" will be treated as a single artist name.

Quote:I always thought Kodi would have a problem with the location of the songs as the folder would be named "ACDC" (without the slash) in Windows.
How is Kodi handling this?

Kodi does not use the folder hierarchy to construct the library just the tags inside the music files, so the folders can be named how you like. You could even put all the tracks for many albums in one folder although I don't suggest you do that! It is more limited if you want to use NFO files to add extra album or artist info, or non embedded art work etc., so there are reasons for a logical folder layout rather than a big heap of files, but Kodi takes album title and artist name from tags not folders.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10