Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitles not displaying in XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of my subtitle srt files do not display in XBMC but show up fine in VLC when the respective video file is played. I converted some from UTF8 to ANSI but still no luck. Request help
Have just uploaded the debug logwherein the srt file did not display while running the tv episode. Link is:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=232447

Thanks
Sorry the last upload was garbled. Have uploaded correction:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=232456
Thanks
I assume you mean the Midsomer Murders episode 'Things that go bump in the Night' which plays around line 902. No subtitle file seems to be found - line 912.

What is the exact path and name of the subtitle file?
Yes that is the example video: details asked are:
Video Name: Midsomer Murders s08e01 Things That Go Bump In The Night
Subfile name: Midsomer Murders s08e01 Things That Go Bump In The Night
path for both: \\jj-nas\TVShows\Midsomer Murders\season 8\

The subtitle displays perfectly in VLC player but not in XBMC
Without a suffix it will not work, and the name of the video file clearly has an .avi appended to the end. I assume that there is a suffix to the subtitle file. What is it?

Perhaps we'd have more luck if you actually cut and paste the actual names.
The names were cut and pasted. Suffix for the video file is avi and suffix for the subtitle file is srt. as I stated earlier the subs display perfectly in VLC player when playing the avi file, the problem was only in XBMC.

I have solved it but by luck and a hint from you. Your comments about the subtitle file not being found when you saw the debug log, whereas VLC player handled them perfectly (signifying the names were as required by VLC) maybe meant that the names were not as required by XBMC. I just shortened each avi and srt file name to for example Midsomer Murders s08e01 from the earlier Midsomer Murders s08e01 Things that go bump in the Night, and the subs started displaying fine.

Thanks a lot for all your help and time.
Ahh I am too used to an OS that does NOT hide the extensions! Glad it is working.