Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fix overscan ( Not xbmc )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so i have a chinese tv, which produces great picture, but has no overscan settings on it. Now when i connect it via HDMI , and i tried every resolution setting believe me! , i miss the clock on th ebottom right, the start button, the top and bottom taskbars. I tried every setting in nvidia control panel, nothing worked. I was wondering if this can be fixed via some software or command? " i'm not familiar with cmd " , basically i want a program that can literally pull the screen from 4 corners towards te middle so everything is shown . Like the monitors back in the day where u kept clicking the button till it all fit in.

" I don't need help with this regarding xbmc, i know there's an overscan calibration for xbmc. and it worked great, i just want something for the actual desktop, everything non xbmc related ) Would really appreciate if any of you know how to help me.

I don't mind if that eventually causes black edges aslong as it's all in there
You might have to investigate custom driver software such as PowerStrip I have used it in the past, and it's difficult software in the sense of knowing the parameters of the display details you're attempting to use. Sometimes you can get luck and find a pre-set of your display on PowerStrip's web site, or some user who has the same set-up. (I believe the software is free for try-out). There's also the possibility for getting a custom EDID data disk, or software from the manufacturer of that display (after all they do know their device best, and should have proper handshaking for just about any set-up.) that will properly handshake with your card. Although I'm unfamiliar with Nvida cards, ATI cards by default have and under-scannned set-up, then a slider to expand to the display size, you might look for similar toggles in the Nvidia software, or heaven forbid.. a new AMD gfx card.
You sure there is no way to disable overscan? Usually it's done with the Aspect Ratio button.
"Ok so i have a chinese tv, which produces great picture, but has no overscan settings on it. Now when i connect it via HDMI , and i tried every resolution setting believe me! , i miss the clock on th ebottom right, the start button, the top and bottom taskbars. I tried every setting in nvidia control panel, nothing worked. I was wondering if this can be fixed via some software or command? " i'm not familiar with cmd " , basically i want a program that can literally pull the screen from 4 corners towards te middle so everything is shown . Like the monitors back in the day where u kept clicking the button till it all fit in.

" I don't need help with this regarding xbmc, i know there's an overscan calibration for xbmc. and it worked great, i just want something for the actual desktop, everything non xbmc related ) Would really appreciate if any of you know how to help me.

I don't mind if that eventually causes black edges aslong as it's all in there"

If your TV doesn't have an overscan disable setting you can use XBMC's video calibration tool to compensate.

Using the default confluence skin, navigate to:

System --> Settings --> Video Output --> Video Calibration...

and follow the instructions on the screen to calibrate/compensate for the overscan.

There are also instructions in the XBMC Wiki here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Settings/System
(2014-06-22, 16:00)zaidrockso Wrote: [ -> ]every setting in nvidia control panel, nothing worked.

You don't mention your OS, but I guess from the nvidia control panel bit that its windows. Well certainly in the linux versions of their control panels, there is a slider called 'underscan'. This starts at 0 and as you increase it, so it proportionally decreases the viewport so it fits on your tv. Also, if you can define what is connected to what port on your TV, then setting the HDMI input to 'PC' should help.

@J876 - The OP said in the first post that help with XBMC was not required, merely with the desktop Wink
1. On the TV itself, the setting you're looking for won't have anything to do with Overscan or Underscan, it will be a picture mode setting and will be called something like "Just Scan", "Zoom to fit" or something else equally non obvious.

See here for lots of info related to this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140344

2. You should definitely be able to compensate for Over or Under scan in your video driver control panel. There are settings that control that. Make sure you have "Advanced Settings" enabled if there is an option for that because sometimes you have to manually turn on Advanced Settings in those driver control panels before you can see settings like this.