Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [SOLVED] Cannot see SMB shares - Fire TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I have recently purchased a Fire TV from the states and imported it to the UK, with the sole aim of using XBMC on it. I have ATV2, Pivos XIOS, OUYA but so far, even with the teething problems I'm experiencing, Fire TV is hands down best.

I cannot yet however add my SMB share directories from my Win7 desktop. I have added these same shares to ATV2, Pivos and OUYA without any issues whatsoever, but these same shares do not show in Fire TV.

Normally when scanning for SMB shares, 'Workgroup' wpukd come up after choosing this the name of my Win7 PC would appear/. Subsequently I could choose the folders, however Fire TV doesn't even see the Workgroup let alone the name of the Win7 PC.

Has anyone come across this and been able to solve it easily?

Thanks.
Does it work if you use the IP address typed in directly instead of browsing?
Hi Ned

No it doesn't. However after fiddling around it will accept the name of my Win7 PC and I can add the machine that way. Strange that the machine can only be found by the name (My-PC) rather than it's static internal IP address (192.168.X.X).

Although I'm now able to see my shared folders for Movies, TV Shows, Music that is stored on the Win7 machine, I don;t like this 'workaround'.

Is there anyway of resolving the problem fully, so that SMB shares are picked up normally?
Seemed to be working now, shares are showing. The only think I can think of that was done differently was scanning at a time that my work laptop (also win 7 but different workgroup) was turned off.