Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI audio starts out fine, but soon gets distorted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am trying to use XBMC 13.1 with Samsung EH5300 32" Smart TV (2013 model) over HDMI connection. The HTPC is AMD-based (AMD A4-5300 APU, which includes Radeon HD 7480D GPU), and runs an up-to-date Arch Linux. I am using the open source "radeon" driver (xf86-video-ati package on Arch). Everything has been great except the sound:

The sound starts out fine, but a few minutes later it begins to get distorted. At first it sounds like reverb affecting voice only, but with time the distortion increases until it all sound becomes noise. If I restart the video, the sound works again for a while. If I change Settings -> System -> Audio Output, like the number of channels or pass-through, the sound is again good for a little while.

Has anyone seen something like this?

I have tried different videos, and it seems like HD videos are affected the most, starting with distortions only a few minutes in (except the one Xvid video, which was fine for 15 minutes). Some SD videos are completely fine, some start having distortion issues only after 20 minutes or so. Judging from video information, if the video uses 5.1 channels (all HD videos fall in this category), it definitely gets distorted; if a video only uses 2.0 channels (like the SD videos), some are fine while others get distortion later on. I have "Number of channels" in Audio Output settings set to 2.0. Changing this (or any other audio settings) has not affected the distortion.

Following Arch Wiki: Radeon note about HDMI audio, I tried adding radeon.audio=1 to the kernel line; this did not solve the issue, just added some visual glitches.

In the debug log, the distortions happen at around 17:26, though there is absolutely nothing logged at that time, even though I enabled "Verbose logging of AUDIO component" in the Debugging settings. The video I was playing there showed the following in the information window: 720 H.264 dts 5.1 16:9 (I at first thought H.264 codec was the problem, since the SD videos that played fine were Xvid and DivX, but then I found a Xvid HD video and that also got distortions, though 15 minutes in).

Debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=235665

(I tried to clean it up somewhat, taking out VideoInfoScanner lines, as well as a bunch of On Keyboard events when I was selecting the video to play and then entering email address in XBMC Log Uploader. I also edited the name of the video file. These are the only changes.)
We don't support your arch version with external ffmpeg and gcc 4.9 - please ask for bugs with Arch linux, that made this wonderful unsupported, untested version of xbmc.