Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC-Reciver-TV, tv off=no sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have tried many different stuff, but can`t fin out of this.
Maybe someone here can help?

My setup is as: PC with XBMC Win7 updated with all the latest -> Receiver (Yamaha RX-V767) -> TV (Samsung F8005)
All connected with HDMI.

I can`t get any sound if I turn off the TV. If I just use the radio I don`t need to have the TV on.

I tried many different setup on the receiver, on the computer and TV there aren't many...

Petter
Hi...

You´re on NVidia?

But doesn´t care...I think it´s the same for any system. IIRC XBMC can´t work without a monitor. But there are workarounds for this. I had NVidia earlier and if the HDMI doesn´t find a switched on monitor (by getting the EDIDs from this device) NVidia turned off the HDMI and I couldn´t get any sound. I hardcoded the EDID from my monitor (or the AVR, receiver or similar), saved them in a *.bin file (for examlpe: receiver.bin), stored it anywhere at the system and edited the "xorg.conf" to this:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/receiver.bin"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor"      "DFP-1"
EndSection

These are only examples. You have to make sure, that the settings will match to your system. So please check if your monitor is "DFP-1", check the path to the saved *.bin file and it might differ to intel or amd hardware.

Perhaps you have to configure your own modelines if video runs out of sync. Never had this, but read somewhere that this might happen.

Greetings
David
Something to check here is if you have audio pass-through enabled on your receiver.

A/V receivers have different modes. One mode will pass ONLY the video through (that's the mode you actually want) and the other mode will pass Video AND Audio through to the TV.

If you have it set to pass both through, and you turn off the TV, it affects the way the EDID package that is returned from the receiver is constructed, and that can mean no sound.

You need to find the option on your Yamaha receiver itself that allows you to change the pass-through mode, and check what it's set to.
David1977:
Yes, it`s Nvidia.
I don`t understand how to find out this info, or to make the file and edit as mentioned.

I have find out one thing, don`t know if it has something to say. But XBMC always detects the TV instead of the receiver.

SiliconKid:
I can`t find different types of pass through on this receiver. And it don`t affect anything to turn it off either.

Petter
I will do an experiment on my system tonight and see if I can play music with the TV off without issue.

I have a very similar hardware configuration to you, so that will give us some more insight into where the issue actually.

I will report back after I've tested.
Look forward to this.
:-)
I have almost the exact same setup, and indeed it is influenced by the passthrough option on the Yamaha receiver. (AMP+TV / AMP / TV)
@petter:

Take a look at this screenshot:
https://markbrewster.files.wordpress.com...ngs-21.png

You should have something like "nvidia xserver settings" on your system.

Open it and switch to the location shown on the screenshot. Then press "acquire EDID" and save it to a *.bin file. Then SSH (or open a terminal) to your system and enter the following:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for the correct section and make the changes I descripted above.

then reboot
(2014-06-29, 15:16)pettergulbra Wrote: [ -> ]My setup is as: PC with XBMC Win7 updated with all the latest -> Receiver (Yamaha RX-V767) -> TV (Samsung F8005)
All connected with HDMI.

Petter

(2014-07-01, 12:58)David1977 Wrote: [ -> ]@petter:

Take a look at this screenshot:
https://markbrewster.files.wordpress.com...ngs-21.png

You should have something like "nvidia xserver settings" on your system.

Open it and switch to the location shown on the screenshot. Then press "acquire EDID" and save it to a *.bin file. Then SSH (or open a terminal) to your system and enter the following:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

look for the correct section and make the changes I descripted above.

then reboot

He's on Windows mate Wink
ooops Big Grin Wink

Then I´m out Wink
I have now tried everything, it feels this way anyhow.
I have gone trough the settings on the computer, and receiver, Can`t find anything.

EDID info, I don`t see in windows or on the Nvidia setting screen in windows.
In sound options (windows) it says it is connected to the Samsung. I think maybe this is the problem.
It is connected to the Yamaha, directly and indirectly to the Samsung.
It still sounds like a pass-through mode problem.

The MonInfo app will let you see exactly what is being returned in the EDID: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

See my post here where I describe how to use that app to inspect the EDID packages returned by your hardware: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=181681

Your problem does definitely sound like a pass-through problem where the audio is being passed through to the TV, so the TV is considered the end point for the audio, and if you turn it off, effectively the audio end point is considered to be missing.

I downloaded the manual for your receiver here: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/fil...t_id=45317

On page 89 is all the information about audio pass-through, and there are 4 different settings related to it:

In your case, the first setting "Amp" should be ON.

Both the "OUT1" and "OUT2" settings should be OFF - These are the settings that are the most likely reason for your problems.

I'm not sure about that last "Standby Through" setting, you should experiment with that and see what happens if you change it.

Kib posted higher up that he has almost exactly the same setup as you and it is definitely influenced by the pass-through setting:

"I have almost the exact same setup, and indeed it is influenced by the passthrough option on the Yamaha receiver. (AMP+TV / AMP / TV)"
Hi

My receiver is setup this way. :-(, and I have tried with Standby Through on and off. No difference.

I have downloaded MonInfo, and can see that the system should be capable of True HD and stuff, as far as I know,
but can`t understand what I can see from this what can be wrong?

This is the info I think you are after from MonInfo

Kindly, and thanks so far for the help. :-)