Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Where Did All of My Movies Go?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently updated to Gotham and am having trouble adjusting but it has been working fine for the last four or five weeks. Tonight, I added a half dozen movies in the normal way I usually do and started XBMC. I have it set to update at startup. It didn't. There was nothing in the "recently added" section in the home menu. I looked for, and found, the 'Update Library' option in the pop-out side menu. It didn't.

After a lot of clicking around and not finding anything to indicate a reason for things to not update correctly, I checked my Movie source by digging down through Videos to Files and then to the sources and the movies source. I checked the "Set Content" option. I was surprised to see that there was nothing set. "This looks to be an unexpected, but likely reason for my problems", I thought to myself. I set the content to "movies" and puzzled over the scraper options. There was only "local content .nfo", "Get more..." (at least I think that's what the second option was). I tried getting more and there were no options to get more. Definitely nothing that hinted at theMovieDB.org as I was hoping for. I backed out and I clicked "Local content" in frustration and damn me if it didn't promptly clean my library and removed all references to any movies or even a Movie library. There are NO movies in my XBMC anymore. There is not even a Movies option showing alongside the Videos, Music, Settings option on the home menu!

I know that I haven't physically lost the movies but I have no idea how to get them back. Can someone shed some light on this for me? How do I get them back? Why did my library not automatically update with the new movies in the first place? What was the content setting missing and why was there no scraper options?

Edit: It's a single Windows based PC with three drives in it - a bootable system drive with Windows and XBMC on it, and two data-only HDD drives containing the media files in nested folders.
A quick guess would be that XBMC can't find your addons folder, thus your scrapers are missing. Your best bet is to make a proper debug log (wiki) and post it to pastebin or xbmclogs and post a link to it here. That way, people can see whats going on rather than guessing Wink
The first thing you need to do, by the sounds of it, is download some scraper plugins like the TheMovieDB scraper plugin and The Universal Scraper plugin.

It sounds like you have absolutely no scraper plugins installed and enabled at the moment.

Your movies should only have disappeared if XBMC cleaned the library and couldn't access any of the paths it had stored for your movies anymore.

That can happen if you have an external hard drive that is offline or network storage that is offline or not responding for some reason.
Thank you both for the replies.

The plot thickens this morning. Despite already having tried the obligatory "Have you turned it off and then on again?" solution before asking about any computer problem, things have changed this morning when I started the HTPC - and I guess that it's kinda resolved in a roundabout way.

Intending to upload a log file, I installed the XBMC log uploader add-on and started debugging. I then went into Videos>Files>context menu "Set Content". Set content to Movies and tried to get another scraper. Surprise, surprise - there was a big list of scrapers that wasn't there yesterday. Note that on this list, theMovieDB.org is marked as disabled. I tried to enable it, but there was no way to do so. So I added the Universal Movie Scraper from the list, and chose it as my movie scraper. It appears to be working and is currently scanning and ticking over as I type (it's been scanning for over an hour now but I do have several hundred movies). It's not re-downloading the artwork, is it? I have a broadband datacap and overages!

I'm not even going to hazard a guess why I had the no scrapers available yesterday in my original post. And I still don't know why theMovieDB.org scraper is marked disabled with no options to configure it or enable it. But my movie library is back and I can't tell the difference between theMovieDB.org and the Universal Movie scraper. I guess that means my issue is resolved even though I can't get theMovieDB.org enabled...

Log file from this morning is here: http://pastebin.com/snxARcw7
(I had to snip it due to file size constraints)

SiliconKid;
I recently upgraded from XMBC 11.0 and the process went smoothly - at least in the respect that XBMC Gotham has been updating, adding and scraping new movies without issue for the month since the upgrade. I do not have any external or network storage. All movies are stored on two Western Digital internal SATA HDDs with no fancy arrangements - they're just simple volumes with nested folders eg. G:/user_data/movies/movie name (year)/file. I'm pretty sure they're not offline because I'm copying movies to them.
1. Go into Settings and into the Plugin admin area and find the TheMoveDB,org scraper plugin in there and see if you can sort it out.

I would uninstall that plugin from there and re-install it if I were you, just to make sure.

2. XBMC will be re-downloading all your artwork if you haven't ever put your artwork in the same folders as the movies, as per recommended folder
structure and file naming conventions, either manually, or by doing an "Export Library to Folders" from within XBMC.

If you have artwork in the same folders as your movies (which should each be in their own folder ideally) and your artwork is named appropriately
and according to XBMC supported naming conventions, then XBMC will always use the local artwork as a preference before downloading again.