Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MKV forced/non forced tracks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

from years I'm having this issue with all devices (except VLC media player)

I have mkv in this format:

Video Track
Italian Audio Track (with default track and forced track to YES)
English Audio Track (with default track and forced track to NO)
Italian Subtite (with default track and forced track to NO)
English Subtite (with default track and forced track to NO)

italian subtitle is the full sub, not forced sub.

I'm expecting that xbmc (and other devices) when playing this mkv reproduce video+italian audio track and no subtitle

The result is video+italian audio track+Italian subtitle

why?
xbmc, tv, my old Emtec N200 all show allways first subtitle by default..

I adopted the solution with episode without forced sub to insert a empty subtitle after audio track..
but this is not a solution..
Just turn off subtitles in the audio / subtitle options when a movie is playing and then choose the "Set these settings as default" at the bottom for it to default to that.

If you have subtitles enabled then XBMC WILL play a subtitle track for you. And if no default or forced subtitle is available, it will take the first one it finds.

In your example, it's showing Italian subtitles purely because that was the first subtitle stream it found.

If you have "Show Subtitles" enabled, it's going to show you subtitles if it can find any, period.
But if I disable all subtitles the series/episode that have forced subtitles don't show them..

Your solution is wrong..
Xbmc have to play a subtitle track only if this is the default track..
I don't think so.

The way I've seen it work is that if you enable subtitles it WILL play any subtitle track it can find for you. If no subtitle track is flagged as default or forced it will play the first one it finds.

It's a matter of interpretation, but that's how all the media players that I work with seem to work. I don't use VLC, so I can't comment on that.

I suspect the reason is that very often subtitle tracks are included with movies that do NOT have the Forced or Default flags set, so then what ?

If XBMC ONLY showed subititles if one or both of those flags were set, then for any movie without either flag set, XBMC will NEVER play subtitles, no matter you do.

I've come across plenty of files where there is no default or forced subtitle stream embedded, but there ARE subtitles that I still want to play.

It's a bit of a catch 22.

Your way would be great in an ideal world where we could rely on EVERY movie always have the Default or Forced flag set on at least 1 subtitle track, but that is simply not the case.

Arguably, XBMC could just default to showing nothing if it detects no flags and expect you to manually go pick subs, but that could also be annoying and inconvenient a lot of the time.

It's a tough one.

I keep subtitles disabled all the time unless I know I want to see them, then I manually enable them for that movie, and that movie only.
But sorry, why guys that thinked matroska container implemented this flag?

If a movie have default track on 'no' where the correct value is 'yes' it's a movie/ripper error. Not user. I can't go every time to disable.subtitles ...

Infact vlc works correctly..If all tracks have default at 'no' is user choice to select the subtitle track to show..
xbmc's default setting is to always show a subtitle. To change it to behave like you want, follow the steps already provided by SiliconKid.
But if I disable subtitles, episodes with a forced sub signed with default flag are showed?
To change it to behave like you want, follow the steps already provided by SiliconKid.
@Bazzu85:

I'm not arguing that, in theory, what you're saying is wrong. I understand what you're saying, and I agree that in an ideal world it should actually work that way.

But the reality is that the MKV standard is an open standard and a LOT of MKV movies don't adhere to the standard strictly, especially when it comes to things like subtitle flags.

XBMC does what is in the best interests of the majority of users and what makes it the easiest for most people to use, and in my opinion that's a perfectly reasonable approach to take.

Also note that I'm stating things here based on memory and what I've observed, I need to actually run some proper test on subtitles to observe the exact behaviour so that I can comment with more authority on this subject.
I understand this point.

I want only know if, using SiliconKid method, when I'm viewing a episode with forced subtitles, I have to manually switch on subtitles.

If that for me is a great problem because I have series with and without forced subtitles..
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Subtitles

Subtitles with the forced flag should always be displayed.
(2014-07-02, 16:29)doug Wrote: [ -> ]http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Subtitles

Subtitles with the forced track should always be displayed.
This was what I need to know..
Thx

Edit.

Question.. external subtitle are treated as forced subtitle?
LOL

I was about to post exactly that Doug.

I also went off and researched this properly quickly so I could get my facts straight.

So it seems you can turn subtitles OFF and Forced subtitles will display.

I can't see how external subtitles would work in that case though, because there is no way of flagging them as Forced ?
(2014-07-02, 16:43)SiliconKid Wrote: [ -> ]LOL

I was about to post exactly that Doug.

I also went off and researched this properly quickly so I could get my facts straight.

So it seems you can turn subtitles OFF and Forced subtitles will display.

I can't see how external subtitles would work in that case though, because there is no way of flagging them as Forced ?
The status of forced is integrated in mkv container.
But most media players don't use this..
@Bazzu85 - actually, correctly set-up most media players do recognise the 'forced' header in mkv's (mpc-hc, wmc, MediaPortal, meediOS, mpc-be and of course last but not least XBMC all do)
Pages: 1 2