Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Clear music thumbnail cache
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hiya

I know this has been done a million times already as I've google'd it with results pointing to this forum but I'm struggling to find exact instructions for my set-up and quite frankly I'm terrified to close my eyes and press buttons hoping for the best.

My set-up is a NAS with PHPMyadmin for the advancedsettings.xml database.
I have two openelec machines on Gotham.

How do I delete the thumbnail cache for music (I have a couple of albums that refuse to use the new Picture no matter what I do)? Or everything if necessary, I have no problems starting again where thumbnail cache is concerned.

I've read about the Textures.db in the userdata\database folder.
Do I have to delete it on both machines?

Any advice would be grand. I am not a python or DB knowhow though I'm afraid!
Did you find the 'clean-up function in settings>music>Library ?
To start from scratch, you can delete your entire music library database and the textures database from the userdata database folder. Make sure anything labelled music##.db is removed. You may have more than one leftover from previous upgrades. You can delete the contents of the /Thumbnails/Music/ folder as well so you don't have a bunch of unused legacy thumbnails leftover. Make backup copies and place elsewhere if you desire.

Everything will be regenerated black when you restart. Re-scan all sources and good luck.

EDIT: Its a good idea to export the music library to a single file before you do anything, JIC.
MilhouseVH has written an excellent python script that can clean up your cache, remove stale entries etc etc. Thread is http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373

If you're unsure about how to use it, ask him !!

I've used it in the past to remove unwanted art etc that got cached by mistake and free up disk space by removing unreferenced thumbnails.
(2014-07-11, 21:28)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]MilhouseVH has written an excellent python script that can clean up your cache, remove stale entries etc etc. Thread is http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=158373

If you're unsure about how to use it, ask him !!

I've used it in the past to remove unwanted art etc that got cached by mistake and free up disk space by removing unreferenced thumbnails.

This was the thing I saw before but wasn't sure how to use it.

I did a ./texturecache.py p which seemed to claw back 400mb but still got 4GB in the xbmc folder.

I'll keep reading it and see if I can fine tune it.

PatK - Clean library only seems to remove dead links and not the thumbnails with it.
Whitebelly - I don't want to remove album information or anything as it's taken me months to set the more niggly albums up right. I just want to trash the cache.

Cheers peeps Smile Think i have my answer
"p" is the trial-run version of the prune command, if you want to actually delete stuff use "P" (yes, it's case sensitive).
Gotcha. Thanks. It did clear some stuff down so no complaints here.

Thanks