Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video thumbnails look bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
why do the video theumbnails look blocky and blurry with the new system?

i always used custom covers before the new thumbnail system because they would look a lot clearer on my hdtv than the stock ones xbmx retrieved from imdb, but now the very same covers don't display anywhere near as nice as they used to. i am running the 3-13-2006 t3ch build running at 720p.

does anyone else have the same problem?
that doesn't look the same. the whole image is much blurrier than before.
they're currently cached at 128x128.

expect an option to increase it in the future.

cheers,
jonathan
just curious. were they handled differently before?
if you put your own thumb file (as imdb######.jpg in the old version) then no resizing at all was done as the imdb thumbs were a reasonable size anyway.
you can now specify <thumbsize>256</thumbsize> in advancedsettings.xml

cheers,
jonathan
(jmarshall @ may 16 2006,23:59 Wrote:if you put your own thumb file (as imdb######.jpg in the old version) then no resizing at all was done as the imdb thumbs were a reasonable size anyway.
that's exactly what i used to do.

Quote:you can now specify <thumbsize>256</thumbsize> in advancedsettings.xml

that's great. you're always on the ball! :thumbsup:
i just added <thumbsize>256</thumbsize> to the advancedsettings.xml.  wow, what a difference!  it's amazing the bump in quality when going from 128x128 to 256x256.  i've been hoping to see this change for a while.  

in fact, i asked about this possibility back in february of '05 here.  it wasn't possible at the time because of memory usage.  i'm glad you guys found a way around that!

excellent work.  xbmc just keeps getting better!

i put <thumbsize>256</thumbsize> into my advancesettings.xml and i am not seeing a big difference. did i do something wrong? my advancesettings.xml looks like this...

<advancedsettings>
<autodetectfg>true</autodetectfg>
<usefdrive>true</usefdrive>
<usegdrive>true</usegdrive>
<thumbsize>256</thumbsize>
</advancedsettings>
1. did you delete your old thumbs?
2. is the size of the thumb in the windows xml file bigger than 128?
3. xbmc does a pretty good job scaling, you might not notice a difference.
deleted old thumbs and downloaded some higher res ones, now looks better but not a huge improvement..