Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need IR. Can't use RC6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey!

Thinking about building another box. But can't use RC6 to control it as the box next to it is using it.

As I use harmony remotes, I thought i could perhaps use a FLIRC dongle and program the remote to be something else!

Any suggestions on remotes I can program into my harmony to mimic? I don't have Sky, so perhaps that one?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers!
You're not barking up the wrong tree mate, that should work fine. My flirc is arriving today and i'll be doing exactly the same thing with my Harmony Touch.
Sweet. Keep me posted on device you mimic!
Yep - sounds like a neat solution. I'd buy whichever remote looks like it has the right mix of buttons for you and has a logical layout and looks comfortable to use. A Sky+ remote might be quite a good fit - or a One4All (which you could program with a Sky+ or similar PVR or DVD player code to get the right buttons mapped)
Going to use my harmony remotes. Just need a remote to put into it thst has the buttons!
(2014-07-18, 11:44)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Going to use my harmony remotes. Just need a remote to put into it thst has the buttons!

Sorry - missed that bit of your OP. Definitely a neat solution. I'd look for a PVR (Sky, Freesat etc.) or DVD/Blu-ray player. The latter might be better if you want discrete subtitle and audio stream switching buttons to be mapped? (More common as buttons on DVD/Blu-ray players than PVRs. However if you use XBMC with Live TV then a PVR may give you a record button mapping)
(2014-07-18, 11:17)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet. Keep me posted on device you mimic!

Will do.
(2014-07-18, 13:13)prawnee Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-07-18, 11:17)jammyb Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet. Keep me posted on device you mimic!

Will do.

Purely because the FLIRC forum seems to have a running trend of dongles that forget their settings and cured by PM. Interested to hear your experiences.
Received mine. Initially tried it with an MCE remote and it was a bit ropey to be honest but there is a known issue with them. I programmed a sky remote into my harmony and then programmed it into Flirc. Perfect. To be honest you could pick any random remote from the Harmony list and it should work.
I have two of them (flirc) and they work great for this. Mine did have issues, but after the usual troubleshooting they're working fine now. It seemed like when they went to Gotham from Frodo is where I had issues, but I cleared the configuration and now things are going great.

I'd recommend them still, and do, just now with a little more patience than before.