Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenElec vs Distros
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been happy with OpenElec but sort of miss the ability to run other programs such as those able to play ISO's. Is XBMCUntu difficult to set up and configure? I don't imagine it's well suited to TV but I could be wrong. Another reason is that I can update to the latest nvidia drivers without waiting for a new OE release.
OpenELEC can play ISOs.

Nvidia drivers on OpenELEC are always on the latest stable release.
Why would you need to update the drivers on OE? It's not like you gain anything.
Wait, OE can play ISO's while XBMC can't? How's that possible? Did you guys do your own programming for that?
If you mean "ISOs of films" then both XBMC and OE can do that as it's part of the XBMC code. If you mean "ISOs of games" then that's different if it depends on separate (non-addon) code.

So maybe back to basics... what are you trying to do that OE won't do, as well as negge's question about the drivers?
(2014-07-28, 16:24)patseguin Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, OE can play ISO's while XBMC can't? How's that possible? Did you guys do your own programming for that?

xbmc has always been able to play iso's (albeit not on RPI, and there is limited bluray support on all systems).
Ah I sh ould have clarified. XBMC won't play 3D ISO,s right?
No it won't.

3D on a bluray (and hence on an ISO of the bluray) uses MVC encoding. As far as I know only windows has software to play that, and it needs to be an external player.