Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Improved user handling of stereoscopic & monoscopic mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

first of all I want to say that i love XBMC and its features and especially the 3D-mode. Thanks to the XBMC team for the great work. Regarding the 3D mode i want to request a small change in the handling of the different 3D modes and the monoscopic 2D mode. Let me explain my request with a small overview of my family:

I'm an IT consultant. I know how 3D works, which 3D mode exist, why we have to put the glasses on and how XBMC basically handles 3D
My brother is a noob. He nows how to start xbmc and that he has to put the glasses on when trying to watch 3D. His family does not use 3D (little children and his wife). So the default watching mode is monoscopic.

If my brother wants to use 3D he has to enter the 3D menu and to choose a 3D mode via the "Change mode" menuitem. He does not know what to choose. In fact it might be case that he chooses an inproper mode; OU instead of SBS whcih can lead to bad quality. He often asks why he cannot turn the 3D mode on by just disabling "Watch in 2D". I agree to him. Especially because all the movies are perfectly tagged MKV's.

We find the current way XBMC handles the 3D / 2D modes confusing and inefficient for normal and proficiant users. A user has to press up to 6 times the remote to get the hopefully correct 3D mode instead of simply one time by disabling 2D. The "Select stereoscopic mode" dialog only makes sense if the mode is somehow incorrect. Assuming, that the 3D mode has to mentioned either in the filename or in the mkv tags XBMX knows perfectly which mode is the correct one (XBMC does not show the 3D menu if its not mentioned in the filename or the tags, if i'm correct).

So here's my change request:
  1. There shall be an option do define which view mode is the users prefered one: either 2D or 3D
    (imho 2d is simply no stereoscopic mode)
  2. There shall be an option do define which 3D mode is the users prefered one: either SBS, OU, Anagylph, Ask, ... and Same as Movie (--> the one thats defined in the filename or in the mkv tag; "the correct one")
    (this option exists but should not contain 2D mode)
  3. The user shall be able to switch between 2d <--> 3D as fast as possible: possible solution would be that the "Watch in 2D" opton is adopted that it can be turned off / on by the user.
Hopefully my request is understandable and I'm not the only one that would like this change.
I think its not a big change or feature, but I'm sure that would would increase the usablity a lot.

Thanks again for the great Work

Kopierwichtel
Hi,

Not a single reply? Does really noone else believe that this behaviour can be improved? Huh
But i / we still will love and use Kodi, even when pressing a few click more :-)

cheers

Kopierwichtel
sorry, completely missed your post. Sounds reasonable to me and would actually not be too much work to do. Unfortunately I don't have a dev env available atm and am not in the mood to setup one because of a recent incident. Wish you luck that some dev will pick it up.
as nobody cares for 3D in the team and I had a good day yesterday I fixed all the issues mentioned in here. But before I file a PR to get this stuff included I'd like you to test the changes. According to your signature a windows test build would be fine, right?
Great :-) Thanks already. Yes, Windows 7 x64 is correct
I linked a test build here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1774381 because I need a wider audience to test some of the changes
Thanks for implementing my feature request. I'm already using it from the nightlies and everything is working as expected