Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with 3D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so i recently got a 3d tv that comes with 3d Glasses. Its a Samsung H6400. Ok so it has 2d to 3d conversion and what not. But my question is. Let's say im watching an actual 3d movie, how do i activate the glasses / tv/ computer. Like the glasses only go to 3d mode when i manually choose 2dto3d conversion , double screens etc. But let's say i want to watch harold and kumar 3d christmas, which is actually in 3d and doesn't need 3d conversion, the glasses don't even switch on because it doesn't recognize that it's in 3d, how do i change that, do i have to activate something ? Thanks.
1. There should be a "3D" button on your TV remote that activates your TVs 3D modes and let's you choose which 3D mode you want to turn on:

a. Side by Side
b. Over and Under
c. 2D to 3D conversion
d. Full 3D (like you get off BluRay)

2. What mode you need to put your TV into will depend on what kind of 3D source material you are playing.

3D movies that are downloaded are usually SBS (Side by Side - The same picture shown twice next to each other, squashed horizontially if you
play the movie in 2D mode) and are sometimes OU (Over and Under - The same picture shown twice above and below each other, squashed
vertically if you play the movie in 2D mode) so those will most likely be the modes you are looking for.

Also note that, in general, 3D TVs will NOT automatically detect SBS or OU 3D movies as 3D movies and you WILL need to manually put the TV into the correct 3D mode.

3. If you are playing an actual 3D BluRay disc in a BluRay player connected to your TV via HDMI (1.3a or above) then your TV should automatically detect that you are playing a 3D movie and should automatically switch into frame sequential (full) 3D mode.
I don't own the TV but a quick search on Google let me to the following instruction on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcknJFnHbRg
A fe things have to be done on the htpc and XBMC. First if you have nVidia, make sure 3D is turned off in it. Next, make sure XBMC is running in true full screen, not fll screen window. Next, I make sure XBMC is set to automatically detect the 3D mode (stereaoscopic). I don't have it set to ask. Lastly, your filename have to be done right in order to trigger 3D in XBMC. You need to have 3D in the filename and the format likfe hsbs (half side by side) or htab (half top and bottom). Example: Avatar (2013).3d.hsbs.mkv.

Lastly, if you don't have a TV that automatically detects 3D mode, you have to select it in your menus or Samsung smart tv's have an app for that I've heard. My Panasonic has a setting where it it detects 3D momde by image analysis.
Read 3D (wiki) for the xbmc part.