Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot connect to shares on Home Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just received a Minix Neo X8 Android box running Gotham. I am new to XBMC but have run an HTPC with Mediaportal for years, so thought setting this up would be a snap...

I am trying to add the media shares on my server (Windows Home Server 2011) but I am connecting connection/timeout errors. I have tried browsing and also adding the SMB share with servername, sharename and logon credentials. I notice that my server name does not appear when I view the SMB workgroup (but all my other devices do appear).

There is no problem with network connectivity - I can ping devices, and I can see the Minix box from the WHS. I have tried both wireless and wired network interfaces.

Really frustrating to be blocked from trying out my new toy at the very first hurdle!

Sad
In case anyone else has this issue, I have been able to add my shares using IP address rather than servername, so the format is smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sharename.

It is definitely a bug in Gotham, as I have no problem seeing my server in the network from ES File Explorer in Android.
You may have to refer to the hostname as hostname.domain or hostname.workgroup rather than just hostname (eg. I had to refer to loungebox.home to access my server from Android, where every other OS would just accept loungebox). It's an archaic Android bug that I think is fixed in really recent versions of Android but causes issues and frustration in others.

(That said, that doesn't quite explain why ES can find it, but it's worth a shot).
I can not install the xbmc softwar , ,which from that software I can instll the program