Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi logo suggestions and ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's quite a few favourites here. Just wanted to mention that if you need brackets as emphasis, then it's likely the logo isn't strong enough. Colour is a nice emphasis, but this kind of logo will have to stand on it's own with or without it. I have noted not many examples of letter scaling, try reducing the obvious letter 'O' or scaling up the ends to create innovative designs that catch the eye while still coming off readable. A lot more possibilities available, better to have some crude sketch, with freshness over an overworked weak design.
There is a large company called KDDI in Japan.
Since similar KODI, I think better to be different at all is good logo

removed151214

Showing just how limited my design skills are - and yes, I know the O looks more like an E or C - a concept that tries to draw together the entertainment aspect of the product, by basing each letter on a different area - videos, games (planned for Kodi 15?), music and PVR.

Edit: balanced the concept up a bit, and replaced pacman (as much as I love him) with something that actually looks like an 'o'.
(2014-08-05, 18:13)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]Here's something that fell off the tree.

Oh Wow i like this one

(2014-08-05, 16:00)dobee Wrote: [ -> ]Really nice, although I would remove those 2 smaller triangles.

(2014-08-05, 15:36)ximon Wrote: [ -> ]Image

stands out
Superb efforts! Here's my thoughts:-

This.

(2014-08-05, 14:20)ximon Wrote: [ -> ]Image

With the "D" fill in (no one wants KOK on their screen) without the version circle though, it breaks some symmetary.

(2014-08-05, 16:00)Karnagious Wrote: [ -> ]Image

Could the controller arrows be tried in colour during animation? they could fade out toward the end.

(2014-08-05, 09:23)Zeros Wrote: [ -> ]Image

Kudos! But, more devops than media centre.

(2014-08-04, 17:54)aphaits Wrote: [ -> ]Image
(2014-08-05, 14:20)ximon Wrote: [ -> ]Image

(2014-08-05, 16:00)Karnagious Wrote: [ -> ]This is what I mean. You can tell it says Kodi.

That looks awesome, love the animation.
Don't get me wrong, this logo has a pretty straightforward animation but IMHO the logo in itself is neither legible nor does it say kodi. If the letters can't be read then I guess its not legible. All that can be read is KO and an inverted K, thus KOK. My point is if you have to sell a brand or market it what's the point of an illegible company name which I believe is the most important aspect of the logo? Just my $0.02

With regards to this logo, does it not convey photography? Also the bracket thing is so over done with photography logos. Reason I'm mentioning this is because I assumed kodi was looking into something atleast mildly original, maybe not 100% but atleast 80%? Sorry If I came out sounding really rude but just being honest here. Some of these concepts particularly the one with the animation is just horrible. The bracket concept has some potential but even then like I said its so over done. At this rate might as well have doghousemedia do it and save yourself the hassle.
(2014-08-06, 03:27)dramaticraazrs Wrote: [ -> ]Image
With regards to this logo, does it not convey photography? Also the bracket thing is so over done with photography logos. Reason I'm mentioning this is because I assumed kodi was looking into something atleast mildly original, maybe not 100% but atleast 80%? Sorry If I came out sounding really rude but just being honest here. Some of these concepts particularly the one with the animation is just horrible. The bracket concept has some potential but even then like I said its so over done. At this rate might as well have doghousemedia do it and save yourself the hassle.

You're being pretty harsh, but I understand what you're getting at. I can see why everyone likes this logo, it's skillfully made and very slick. It's a good logo.

I don't think it's the RIGHT logo. It's very focused on code / development / open-source. While I think a lot of us here will like it, keep in mind we're nerds who are going to use XBMC no matter what. I think for a lot of other people the tech-y feel isn't going to be appealing, it's going to make Kodi seem scary and complicated. They're the people who need to be convinced the most by the identity change, I think.

The XBMC community matters a ton, but we'll use it no matter what. We want other people to use this great software, and that means it's super important the Kodi brand feel unintimidating and accessible.
Idea I had:

Box is 16:9 ratio, the text represents how kodi is there if you need it but doesn't get in the way.

Easy to use as watermark, easy to use as logo, super simple, dunno if it's copyrightable and I think it's probably very generic right now, but maybe this gets someone else thinking too Smile
dramaticraazrs Wrote: [ -> ]Some of these concepts particularly the one with the animation is just horrible. The bracket concept has some potential but even then like I said its so over done. At this rate might as well have doghousemedia do it and save yourself the hassle.

The fact that one of the most popular ideas so far is described as "just horrible" says quite a lot about how truly impossible it is to please everyone.
I really don't mind the new name. Even though the name is changing will it still have the same look and feel like XBMC?
(2014-08-06, 03:27)dramaticraazrs Wrote: [ -> ]... but IMHO the logo in itself is neither legible nor does it say kodi. If the letters can't be read then I guess its not legible. ...

Welcome to every logo suggestion thread ever.

Guys look at literally every memorable logo ever. Almost exactly zero of them do fancy shit with the lettering because it might make you say "ooh that's clever" if you actually know what the hell the product is in the first place, but if you don't even know the name of the product and you're reading the logo for the first time, anything that hinders legibility will leave you with a sour taste in the mouth which will linger even if the product is good.
kodi seems like a playful name, so here is something more playful

(2014-08-06, 05:18)mag.py Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-08-06, 03:27)dramaticraazrs Wrote: [ -> ]... but IMHO the logo in itself is neither legible nor does it say kodi. If the letters can't be read then I guess its not legible. ...

Welcome to every logo suggestion thread ever.

It's a cool looking logo, beautiful in fact, but everytime I see it, I see KOK. And I have a dirty mind, and so do all my friends, so this logo would make us always refer to the program as KOK. It also takes away my ability to recommend it to people, they'd see the logo and assume I was messing with them.