Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC (12.3 and 13.1) not working on Ubuntu 14.04 using nouveau (gt 6200)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I just wanted to install XBMC on a spare pc to get basic dlna-connectivity for our prehistoric CRT-TV (so only SD needed anyway). So first I tried OpenELEC which worked basically fine everywhere (i3 with HD6850, old P4 HT with some radeon) except on the old pc (Athlon something with Nvidia 6200 (should be ok, if wiki is up to date)) destined for it, where it crashed printing: "sh: Bad Number\n Illegal instruction".
Since OpenELEC is very debug-unfriendly (if not compiling yourself), I decided to give Ubuntu a try. So I installed Lubuntu and added the ppa and tried first to start with xinit: there basically I got a flickering black bar on the lower half of the screen and the flickering default background, occasionally menu-texts showed when spamming keys... state didn't change very much, when trying Ubuntus bundled XBMC and the proprietary Nvidia driver. So I turned to you, to ask for help: Is the graphics-card to old, should I use another distro (I use Debian mainly and always get the notion that Ubuntu is way too buggy....) or does someone know how to get OpenELEC to work?

Thanks in advance
BenNemsi

(at least i refreshed my memory of x-configuration and init-systems a bit, if I had to buy a new system)
Nouveau does not have the correct acceleration xbmc needs to start. xbmc.log should tell that in clear words.
Thank you very much, xbmc.log doesn't tell that in what I'd consider clear words (just "ERROR: Refreshing Screen") (and you could maybe add a pointer to this file in console-output). Apparently Ubuntu baited me into installing a wrong driver proprietary which even worked with glxgears -.-.
Why not posting the logfile? And setting xbmc to debugloggin via advancedsettings.xml before?