Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with a new hard drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

So, I'm completely new to this and need a bit of help. I have an HP Proliant microserver running with XBMC Ubuntu - I hope I even wrote that right. The system was set up for me by a friend, who has subsequently moved to Latvia (not a joke) and is not in contact very regularly. I'm pretty useless at anything computer related but I've been struggling through.

I recently decided to move two 1.5TB hard drives from a desktop computer into the microserver. I found the relevant articles and managed to mount them. Both were partitioned correctly and formatted to ext4. The mounting had me stumped for a while but eventually they were both mounted and I could find them in the File Manager in XBMC. I "added source" and they showed up, with nothing in them (since they were formatted) except a "Lost + Found" folder. I wanted to start copying files across... and failure. Received the following message:

Copy failed
Failed to copy at least one file.
Operation was aborted.

So now I really am stumped. I have searched for answers but now I guess I'll have to ask. I'd really appreciate any help, and I sincerely apologise if I seem like a complete idiot for asking this. If any further information is needed please let me know and I will (try to) post it ASAP.

Thanks again.
OK, how are you trying to copy the files, within XBMC or from a command line or the Ubuntu desktop ?

Can you give an example of a file you wish to copy, its current location and where you would like to copy it to ?
Hi black_eagle

I'm trying to copy files within XBMC using the file manager. I've done this loads of times before and never had a problem. The microserver is for all of my movies and TV shows, so I will be copying those onto the drives. Again, I'm not sure exactly what's relevant or not, but for instance, I tried to copy a folder (each movie is in it's own folder) from an existing hard drive to one of the new ones. I then connected a portable hard drive and tried to do a similar thing with a folder from that hard drive, achieving the same result.

I hope that helps.
Have you tried logging out of XBMC & into the XBMCBuntu desktop ? You should then be able to use the desktop file manager to drag and drop or copy/paste directories between drives.

You could also do it from a command line with
Code:
cp -r /path/to/folder/* /path/to/new-location/